《0》

"Why, thank you, dear," Alastor rose his chest up high proudly and used the tips of his fingers to fix his bowtie.

Charlie looked back out the door with hesitation, most bodies out there would be lunch for the cannibal. The thought still made her stomach turn- How could anyone ever eat humans, let alone demons?

Nevertheless, he did protect her hotel. Why? No idea. You'd expect the demon to stand by and enjoy the suffering of other demons as they fought off eachother. But ever since he arrived at the hotel he did as he promised the princess.

They both closed the doors and walked into the hotel side by side, "I don't get why people dislike the hotel so much- I-is it something I did?"

"Oh, don't you fuss about that! Come here. Want to play a game?" The demon avoided the poor topic, sitting down on the couch to the side of the entrance room.

Charlie's worry washed away from her face, confusion filling it up, she tilted her head and sat down across from him with her hands folded in her lap. "A game?"

"Yes, my dear! A- Game..." The last part of the sentence revealed a sinister tone in his voice. He put his microphone to the side, his eyes closed as he smiled to grabbing something out of his pockets.

"What's the game?" Charlie asked interestedly, leaning forward a bit to spot what he was holding in his hands.

Alastor smiled with pride in his chest, after that spree, it was the perfect moment to take a step further in his plan. Charlie would be easily convinced for this. A game, a game! What was there to say no to?

He unpacked a pack of cards and opened his eyes, staring at Charlie whilst shuffling them. Charlie backed off, a nervous face coming onto her, "Oh, no- Al- I really can't.."

"Why not?"

"I- Don't know.. It's forbidden by my father to play with a certain deck of cards."

"Hm? What do you mean?" He asked cluelessly.

"Is there a joker in here?"

"No idea! But,  that makes the game all the more fun, doesn't it? No harm in a good joker. Is there, princess?"

Charlie swallowed, shaking her head slowly. She fidgeted her fingers with sweat as she watched the deer shuffling the deck of cards slower and slower before it came to an end. He threw down eight cards for each of them, then the rest of the cards in the middle of the table and he flipped the one on top.

Bishop eight

Charlie picked up her cards, relieved to not see what she was looking out for. She glanced at Alastor, nothing on his face to indicate anything at all. Typical.

"You begin," Alastor ushered amusedly.

Charlie nodded and threw down another Bishop.

Alastor followed swiftly.

The two threw down cards, neither of them having to take one off the deck, until Charlie only had two left. With a dry swallow she flicked up the one on top of the deck, not being the category she needed, she took another.

She took four until finally getting one of the same number and throwing it down to change the pattern. Luckily it changed to one she did already have.

Alastor smiled, also taking cards of the deck, every one he took shaking a nerve in Charlie.

What if there was a joker?

Alastor threw down an Queen of Diamonds.

"Oh, You look tense, Charlie," He pouted, relaxedly crossing his legs. Charlie smiled pathetically, not even remotely trying to hide the nervous sweat pouring out of her.