Unlike Saviour

"Damn it!" Faban whispered, almost losing his balance. He felt something squishy under his foot. "I think I just stepped on someone's body part." Shimmer quickly caught him by the arm and pulled him up.

"Quiet! We need to be as stealthy as possible!" Shimmer hissed, looking around nervously.

Faban felt sick as he smelled the fresh blood oozing from the severed limbs of the fairies he had glimpsed. They had been hiding and sneaking in the ruins of nearby buildings, trying to avoid the Skeezites that flew around.

"Shimmer, which building is it? Let's get this over with," Faban asked, nervously and impatiently, seeing more and more Skeezites in the area. He was hungry and tired, and he wanted to get back to their hideout as soon as possible. They had been searching for food for an hour, but they had found nothing edible.

"You moron! Have some patience! I'm not sure where the food shop is either!" Shimmer snapped, glaring at him. She had a map of the city in her head, and she was trying to remember where the food shop was. She knew it was somewhere in this area, but the ruins made it hard to recognize.

Faban said nothing and tried to make himself smaller behind Shimmer's tiny body. He was terrified of being spotted by those monsters. He wished they had never left their hideout, but Shimmer had insisted that they needed to find food or they (he) would starve. She had said that the reinforcements from the kingdom would take too long to arrive, and they couldn't rely on them. Faban didn't believe her, but he followed her anyway.

He didn't want to be alone.

Shimmer scanned the surrounding ruins with her eyes. She was certain there was a building that sold food in this area. She had been there once, before the Skeezites came.

She remembered the smell of fresh bread and cheese, the sound of laughter and music, the taste of honey and milk. She wondered if there was anything left in the building, or if the Skeezites had eaten everything & everyone.

' There it is!' she thought, spotting a ruined building that she recognized as a former food shop.

It wasn't too far from where they stood. But there was one big problem. A huge Skeezite was lying near the entrance, snoring loudly. It looked like it had just finished a meal, judging by little the blood around its mouth.

"I found it," she said, pointing at the building.

"Really? Let's go then!" Faban said, feeling a surge of hope.

"Wait a minute! There's one big problem, Faban." Shimmer said, lowering her voice.

"...What is it, Shimmer?"

"...There's a sleeping Skeezite near the building," she whispered.

"WHAT?!"

"Shh, lower your voice, you idiot!" Shimmer said, covering Faban's mouth. She hoped the Skeezite didn't hear them.

"I know you're scared, so I'll go inside the building," she said, letting go of his mouth.

"What?! No, absolutely not! Do you realize how crazy that is? Come on, let's just give up and go back to our hideout and wait for reinforcements from the kingdom, like normal fairies would do!" Faban protested, rejecting Shimmer's reckless plan. He didn't want to risk losing her to the Skeezite.