Chapter 22- Prisoner

Start from the beginning

Ryan seemed to be floating on some new high. Hopefully he’ll overdose one of these days, leaving me the power. "Do you think our informant was telling the truth- that Ivory doesn’t know who she is? I find that really hard to believe 'sepicially since she's been living on the Night’s Edge pack for a long time. And she hasn't been killed! You think she's become part of the pack?" Ryan's eyes glanced across his office, observantly.  "Tell my man to send me more of this stuff STAT. I wanna celebrate with ivy once she's here. We'll have a little fun together with this stuff..."

The thought of him doing those things to her repulsed me. 

"I feel like i can practically smell her. Is she eighteen? I hope she is...” He said loudly. All his thoughts seemed to be a jumbled mess: he tripped over one thought and found himself on another.  I was almost at the office phone when he spoke again. "You know, I can see why junkies prefer being high than living life now..."

"No, I thought darkly, they prefer being high so they won't have to face the reality. Horrible realities like you. 

"Are you going to call my man Roberson, or what?" he asked impatiently. "It's too cold outside for angles to fly!"

After i hung up on Roberson, I found Ryan staring at the ceiling.  There were three short knocks on the door. The midget, Sonic, let himself in. If Ryan weren't so high, he wouldn't be alive right now. Nobody saunters in without permission. Nobody.

"What do you want?” Sonic boomed, “And why did you just saunter in here without permission?”

Sonic winced. “Sorry Sir, but I was feeding the inmates down in the dungeon like you told me to, when I saw Puella Mortis. She was sleeping. I saw her! Well, at least I think it was her... I came running here to tell you.”

It was quiet for a minute before I broke the silence. “He's lying! She can't be down here. First off, because she would have to go through paperwork to be put down there and second, because you would have to know if someone was put down there, right?. It's impossible. The informant said she would bring her down here herself.”

Sonic gazed at me in a stupor. “What? No! She's here I-”

“Enough!” Ryan yelled, “Sonic, you had no right to come down here and joke about that kind of stuff. Rixon, take him down to the dungeon so he can learn to behave himself. He'll stay, oh, a week.”

Once I dragged Sonic out of the office, I hissed in his ear, “Listen here: you won't say another word about that lousy girl. No matter what you hear, you won't say anything. Understood?”

“But it was her!” He protested.

“Oh, she won't be there long.”

IVY'S POV

I had no Idea how long I'd been out but when I came to, I realized I didn't have that panicky feeling of not knowing where I was. It was like my body was on full-awareness mode even when I wasn't awake.

“Sweetie, is that really you?” A raspy voice called out from somewhere in the darkness. The voice belonged to a woman. “Good heavens! I never thought I'd live to see the day!”

“What? Who are you?” I said sleepily. When I squinted, I could almost make out the shape of a woman in a cell in front of me. She was sitting, maybe hunched over and had something wrapped around her. A blanket. “I see you now. Where am I and, again, who are you?”

“Darling, sit down and don't waste your energy. All your pacing around has me absolutely exhausted. Listen, you're in danger and staying here will bring you one of two fates: marriage to a devil or death-”