25

song: we dont talk anymore - charlie puth❀ ·˚ ༘ ∘

❀ ·˚ ༘ ∘

TODAY, CELEBRATED THE day Esme turned nine-years-old. I was so excited, I had so much planned for her and it gave me a distraction from everything which I do desperately needed.

My birthday isn't too far off from hers. Ish.

I wiped my hands clean on a nearby towel, heading over to the bed with a mini red velvet cake in hand, frosted in light pink icing with a heart and some designs atop.

"Esme." I whispered and shook her shoulder until her eyes started to slowly open, her body stretching. "Happy birthday, my sweet girl." I smiled at her and handed her the cake, singing happy birthday to her.

She closed her eyes and made a wish, blowing the candle out. Smoke drifted off from the candle as she dug in, first thing in the morning.

"Nine-years-old! You're getting so big." I teased her and wiped a bit of frosting onto her nose. "Hey!" She giggled and wiped it off, licking her finger. "So. What do you want to do today?" I asked her. I had a big plan but I needed her to get out of the house first.

"Hm.." she thought. "I know! Can we go to a trampoline park?" She said, looking up at me with hopeful eyes. "Oh?" I said, a little taken aback by her question. "Sure." I smiled at her after.

I got her dressed in this adorable little pink dress, put on her shoes and we were heading out the door in minutes. I decided to stop at IHop for a quick breakfast.

"Mm. This is delish." Esme stuffed her face with pancakes, syrup surrounding the corners of her face. "You have something on your face." I lied, suppressing a laugh that threatened to release. I dug my finger into the whipped cream. "Where?" She asked. "Here." I said and put a dollop of whipped cream on her nose.

"Hey!" She said and did the same to me. Soon it was a full competition, the other trying to get more whipped cream on the other person's face. Obviously I let her win.

We each got cleaned up and finished the rest of our food, my bank account slowly lowering as the day progressed but it was all worth it to see the look on Esme's face. Her eyes were breaking with happiness, face glowing. She looked so adorable.

Next stop, trampoline park.

Inside it smelled of sweaty kids with laughter and happiness in the air. I paid for Esme's ticket and chose an hour in a half, setting my stuff down on a nearby seat and sitting down, watching her laugh and smile finally got my mind off everything, which is something I do desperately needed.

She jumped on the trampoline, doing tricks and cartwheels, tumbling all over and running up the slanted wall, trying to reach the top.

"Excuse me?" I turned around, facing a guy whose face illuminated in a dark purple hue from under the strobing lights. "Hi, sorry, you dropped this." He said and handed me my wallet.