02

song: slow down - chase atlanticෆ ⊹˚˖⁺

ෆ ⊹˚˖⁺

MY HAIR WAS a tousled mess from my running hands. I was searching Athena's file and it turns out, her story might be true. Both parents died due to gang activity but it seems police covered it up as a car accident as Athena was only seventeen at the time she found out. Still a minor.

Her parents, Jon and Savanna, were the leaders of the Italian mafia, and I'm assuming now that they've passed, Athena inherited it without any clue whatsoever.

I had only recently found out at Athena's age of sixteen, soon to be seventeen, that they were stealing loads and loads of cargo ships filled with drugs that I had been manufacturing. I knew a few were missing but it turns out, they've been stealing from me for months.

Jon and Savanna were always discreet, they moved around a lot and when Esmerelda was born, it seems they finally laid low and grew a love for drugs and alcohol.

Just a few days ago is when I found out that it's been a constant thing Jon and Savanna have been doing without me ever realizing as I was too focused on other subjects of my work.

It was too late when I found out as they've fortunately passed, but now I'm stuck with a nineteen-year-old girl with an eight-year-old younger sister who has no idea what she's about to endure.

The mafia business is a dangerous business and has no room for someone like Athena. Once word gets out that a nineteen-year-old is the leader of a mafia, people will be coming after her left and right. Jon and Savanna were good leaders, no doubt. But they never prepeared Athena, evidently, so obviously they didn't plan this out well enough.

I debated on whether I should inform her. She won't believe me. That was my first thought, but I'm telling her anyways because I couldn't care less what she thinks. She's the head, whether she likes it or not.

I could use the Italian mafia as an alliance anyways, I'm sure they're stocked up and that could come in handy. If Athena is not ready to take her place, I will gladly take over for her. It'll give me an extra step.

I stood up, heading down many stairs and finally I opened the door into the dark basement. She was still tied up, looking as tired as ever but she was awake and alert. I half expected her to be gone and the other half, I expected her to be asleep.

I pulled up one of the chairs that sat on the wall and placed the backrest towards her, placing my legs on either side and leaning my arms on the top wooden part. "Are you gonna tell me what I'm doing here now?" She was tired, I could tell, but the fire inside her didn't die down.

"Do you know what the mafia is, mi amor?" My Spanish accent was thick in the sentence as I tilted my head at her and didn't break her eyes, partially because I couldn't. I knew though that if I stared too long I'd get lost in them.

"No?" Her voice raised up at the end of her sentence. Her brows furrowed and her voice filled with confusion. "It's a criminal organization that works with drug manufacuring and trafficking. Being involved can be extremely dangerous and as being the head of the Italian, you need to be ready for anything." I explained to her as best as I could.