21

song: daylight - david kushner❀ ·˚ ༘ ∘

❀ ·˚ ༘ ∘

WHEN I AWOKE, Gray was gone.

I didn't think much until I heard voices downstairs. I couldn't see as the balcony from the upstairs floor only showed the foyer. They were in the kitchen.

Muffled voices became clearer as I stepped closer. "What the hell are you doing here? You can't just show and expect us to be normal." Gray said in a normal volumed tone but he was definitely really angry, I could tell.

"I told you already, I had business. I'm here now, Grayson. That's all that matters." A desp voice startled me. One I didn't recognize.

"Okay, so what? You need money? Did you forget you're the one who gave me this." Gray gritted out, a small gasp escaped my lips but thankfully the moment seemed to be too intense they didn't hear me. His father.

"I'm sorry. Okay? I just wanted to see how my son was doing. What you got a girlfriend now? That's new. And she's a stunner. Athena, is it?" He said, my name making my heart drop. "Keep her name out of your fucking mouth." He gritted out and I felt my lips curling into a small smile.

"Oh? Didn't know you were so attatched. Oh.. you're not going soft on me?" The father had a mocking tone to him, Gray's breathing pretty loud even from behind the wall.

"Why does everyone keep fucking saying that?" Gray scoffed and I heard a roll of his eyes in his tone. "It's true. I've seen it."

"Son, what have I told you? Love only gets your heart broken. It'll only make you weak, soft. If I were to ask you if you'd take a bullet for her, what would you say?" The father asked and my anticipation rised at what his answer might be.

"Yes." Gray replied, no hesitation.

"Ah, see. I knew it. That stuff gets you killed. I don't like-" A creak of the stairway interrupted his next sentence. It was Spade, sneakily trying to come down the stairs too but unfortunate for him because he stepped on the part that creaks.

"Who's there?" I hurriedly stepped back to the stairs, acting as if I was walking with Spade instead of eavesdropping.

"You must be Athena." The father came up to me and shook my head. I nodded and smiled politely, shaking his hand. "You're the one who's got my son in a chokehold." He said, connecting pieces in his head. I laughed awkwardly, unable on what to say to that.

Gray stood behind his father, fists clenched and a layer of sweat gleaming under the light on his forehead. "Grayson and I have lots of catching up to do, so excuse me." He smiled kindly at me and gestured for Gray to follos, he did. Not sparing a glance at me or Spade.