The Past In Revenge -19

WC: 2289

The set jaw, the aloof, stern and critical way he looked at him—it was exactly the same as when he was alive. It was the gaze that Jin Guangyao feared the most. Jin Guangyao's tears ran dry due to sheer terror. "Er-ge..." he pleaded in a quivering voice.

Lan Xichen shifter the course of his sword, and Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji also hastily changed their tune. But the whitling's control had already been broken previously, and renewing the effect using the same method would be much harder.

"Wei Wuxian," someone called suddenly.

"What?" Wei Wuxian answered immediately, realizing only after the fact that it was jiang Cheng who'd spoken. He found the latter calling him a bit odd, but Jiang Cheng didn't say another word.

Instead, retrieved something from his sleeve and gave it to Lan Tian.

Lan Tian smiled before they stood up and ran to Wei Wuxian holding a familiar shining black flute with a bright red tassel fastened at the end. "You better not screw this up." They walked slowly around Nie Mingjue to stand in front of him while Wei Wuxian took in his flute.

Jin Ling silently protested Lan Tian going any where near that mess but couldn't do anything to stop him.

"Lucky for you, I can't let you die...for now." Lan Tian said as he positioned himself between Jin Guangyao and Nie Mingjue, gathering energy.

"Lan Zhan!" Wei Wuxian called as he pulled the flute to his lips.

Lan Wangji gave a slight nod. Nothing else needed to be said. Guqin and flute began their duet. Icy spring water was the guqin, and the flute was like a bird in flight. One suppressing while the other lured. Under their combined efforts, Nie Mingjue's body was swayed before he was finally half forced to move away from Jin Guangyao.

Lan Tian stood in awe for a moment, so this was their father and, well what ever new semi-parental figure, were probably like together in their prime. Their movements and notes in complete synchrony as they walked Nie Mingjue to the coffin.

Lan Tian's awe was short lived as they caught Jin Guangyao beginning to crawl away. With a single glare from Lan Tian, the man froze. They rolled their eyes before glancing back to their parental figures.

As Nie Mingjue lept into the casket, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji kicked the coffin, closing the lip Wei Wuxian hopped onto the head of the coffin, stuck Chenqing back into his waistband, and bit a finger on his right hand. Movements flowing like water, he drew the vibrant, bloody lines of a spell without a moment's faltering.

Only then did the beastly howling within the coffin gradually subside. Lan Wangji pressed down on his guqin string's halting the song flowing from his fingertips. Wei Wuxian softly blew out a long breath. He prudently waited so see if he old sense anything, and only stood up after ensuing there was no more power to be felt from beneath the lid.

"What a bad temper, no?"

Lan Tian chuckled as they watched the soft interaction between their father and Wei Wuxian. Before they could catch themselves, Lan Tian was glancing at Jin Ling. But as Jin Ling smiled warmly in their direction, Lan Tian felt a small tug at their heart from deep in their gut. If anything, as bad as it was, Lan Tian wished that this whole situation would go on forever, then they'd never have to leave.

"Xichen-ge!" Nie Huaisang cried in pain beside Lan Tian, "Quickly, come help me see if my leg's still connected to my body!"

Lan Tian let out a large breath of air at Nie Huaisang's shrieking. They turned to look at the man with Lan Xichen.