Chapter 35

"Mae called earlier, when you were out talking to Seng." Freen said as she was prepping for dinner.

"Oh. What did she say?" Becky asked.

"She asked how it went... visiting Phaw's grave."

"Ah..."

"I told her it was okay... that it helped so much having you there with me."

Becky leaned in and kissed Freen's forehead. "I'll always be with you, babe."

"I know..." Freen said with a sweet smile. "She uhh... had some other questions too.."

"Na ka? Like what?"

"It's stupid. I told her, I mean... it's too soon."

Becky was more interested now. "What did she ask, Freen?"

"She said now that we've settled back in together in our old home, we should talk about marriage..."

Becky smiled to herself but didn't look up. "Why does she want us to get married?"

"I don't know, she said something about her wanting to see us in beautiful white gown before she gets too old, and something about ain't nobody getting younger, or something like that... why? You don't want to get married?"

Becky chuckled. "Wow... look at you getting all worried that I won't put a ring on your finger."

"It doesn't matter to me. Married or not, as long as you're here with me."

Becky looked up at her now and said, "I know..." she got up from the bar stool across from Freen and went over to her side and kissed her passionately. "You're stuck with me now, babe. I've even moved in completely, with my kid and all..." she joked.

Freen laughed.

"Marriage is just a formality na..." Becky said and leaned in again to kiss Freen when a voice interrupted them.

"Who's getting married?! Can I be flower girl?"

Freen was startled. Becky more calm, now getting used to Emily's way of creeping in on conversations.

"No one's getting married honey, at least not anytime soon na." Becky said to Emily and then went over to the other side to sit with her.

Freen continued with dinner prep while Emily and becky started talking about school. But she couldn't let go of what Becky said. "Not anytime soon."

Even though she knew Becky meant well, she thought about how beautiful Becky would look in a white gown and what vows they would make to each other and what ring she could go pick out for her, and their honey moon.

"Not anytime soon."

She focused on the veggies before her and tried not to acknowledge the tiny feeling of sadness in her.

//

At dinner, while most of the conversation was about the lunch party, about Billy and Babe's baby, about some other town gossip.

Mind suddenly asked, "So nu, your birthday's coming up na, what you want to do? ... ouch!"

Nam kicked her under the table.

"I don't know, I'm pretty fine with just a house party, or maybe we can go out for dinner or something, I don't really want to do much..."

"Why not?" Freen asked.

"I'm happy here. At home with you guys. I honestly don't know any happier way to spend a birthday."

Freen looked nervous.