Chapter 32

As Freen shut the door, she felt Becky's arm move away from around her. She watched as Becky made her way to the kitchen.

"Baby ka, why don't you go get ready for bed, I'll be right up to tuck you in na?"

"Kub, Mama." Beckett went upstairs while Freen went towards the kitchen to find Becky pouring out the wine.

"Hey..." She said, slipping her hands into her pockets.

"Hey..." Becky said with a smile that wouldn't reach her eyes.

"Okay mai?" Freen asked carefully.

"You don't have to keep checking on me every time Seng's in the picture, Freen!" Becky said quickly.

Freen almost took a step back. She wasn't expecting that of all reactions.

"I'm sorry. I just... I need a moment. I'll be fine na. Don't worry. Why don't you go freshen up, change, put Beckett to bed, and meet me on the couch?" Becky said, her eyes not meeting Freen's.

"Ka. Okay. Fine." Freen said dryly and walked away.

Becky watched her stride away and she knew instantly Freen was worried.

'Get your act together Becky! You can't keep doing this to her every single time. She definitely has good reason then for checking in on you each time!' Becky's conscience spoke to her.

She took a deep breath, lifted the glasses and took them to the living room. It had been a whole 20 minutes now. Freen was taking longer than usual and Becky was beginning to worry that maybe she'd really upset Freen this time. She almost got up to go check on her upstairs when she heard soft footsteps coming down.

She stood up. "Freen, I didn't mean..."

"To snap at me...? Ka, I know." Freen said as she made her way to the front of the couch, took Becky's hands in hers and traced light circles over it.

"It's hard for you, I know." Freen said. She then carefully came forward, her face leaning in ever so slowly and she kissed Becky's cheek. "I'm here na. I'm with you."

Becky didn't realize how much she needed to hear it, until she did. She put her arms around Freen and hugged her, tight.

"Sit, bebe..." Freen said to her. Becky pulled away then and sat, Freen sat close next to her.

"I want you to be able to let me in. When you have those moments in your head, you always tend to close me off. Cut me out completely. It happened the last time when we were at your place, it happened here now. I really want to be able to help you through it, Becky. We're in this together, remember?"

Becky smiled then. Took Freen's hands in hers and kissed over her knuckles. "Cai... you're right. I don't know why I keep thinking I need to heal by myself anymore. I have you to lean on."

"And I want to make it right. All of my mistakes, I want to make it up to you, so please... please just let me in, Becky."

Becky leaned in and kissed her lips sweetly and whispered, "I'm sorry, for earlier..."

"It's not okay. You must make it up to me." Freen teased.

"Good thing I picked up your favourite wine, the oldest bottle they had."

"I knew it! I knew you were up to something!" Freen laughed excitedly as Becky handed her a glass. She took a sip and closed her eyes, humming as the red liquid graced her taste buds.

"It should be illegal for you to make such sounds outside of a bedroom." Becky said.
Freen opened her eyes to find Becky smiling gleefully.

They got talking then, about Emily and the friend whose house she's gone for a sleepover at, about Beckett and his karate class. At some point in the evening, their hands had tangled together and Becky was playing with Freen's fingers. It was all so natural and domestic, their hearts felt warm.