"Friends don't kiss each other like that!"

Becky had to laugh.

"You're right na, they don't. But your Mami means a lot to me, and hopefully, I think I still mean a lot to her too. We care about each other a lot. And we care about you and Beckett even more... what you saw... was just your Mami's way of showing me she cares... right Becky?"

"Ka." Becky assured.

Emily seemed to be in her own thoughts then.

"Is that why there's a picture of you in the locket Mami gave me?" Emily asked Freen, while playing with the locket in her hand.

Freen took it from her then, opened it gently and said, "Your Mami gifted this to me a year after we started seeing each other. She said it could work as a promise, to symbolize her commitment to me, until she could get me a real ring that is."

"A ring? To marry you?!" Emily asked. This moment was the first time they saw some kind of reaction in her. There was a sparkle in her eyes.

Freen looked up at Becky and saw her wiping a tear from the side of her eye.

"We were young. And in love. Anything was possible then..."

"If it was given to you, then why was it with Mami? She gave it to me and explained to me that it meant a lot to her that I kept it safe."

"When I made that terrible mistake that tore us apart, I mishandled the locket. I didn't deserve the love it stood for. When I knew your Mami had it back in her possession, I was glad it would stay sacred and safe."

Emily was lost. But she realized that Freen was looking at Becky while explaining that last bit. So she let it go.

"I guess what we're trying to tell you, honey, is that we're working on our friendship again. Learning to trust each other again, one tiny step at a time."

"Do you care for my Mami like you used to?" Emily quickly asked Freen. It caught Freen off-guard.

"Honey, I don't think it's nice to ask na..." Becky tried to intervene so that Freen didn't have to feel obliged to answer that right now.

"I do. I care for your Mami now, more than I ever have before."

"And Mami, do you still love Auntie Freen?"

Becky was silent.

Freen knew Becky wasn't ready to answer this. "Your Mami is doing what's best for her heart right now, honey. She can't know yet, so early on in this if... if all that care for me can still mean she's in love with me."

It was a smart answer, Becky had to admit. Freen was being truthful, but careful. And also trying to not put her in an awkward spot before her daughter.

Emily stared down at the locket, traced the word 'Always' that was engraved on it, and then shifted, knelt on the couch right next to Freen, and put the locket around her neck."This belongs to you.." she said.

"No honey... it's yours na..." Freen tried to argue.

"I have mine!" She said proudly as she reached for the locket that Freen had gifted her on the night she won at the school talent show. "I knew I was holding on to this for someone. Now I know who that someone is." Emily said. "And anyway, I had wanted to give this to you on your birthday."

Freen was moved. And speechless. The locket felt heavy resting on her chest. After all these years. She looked at Becky, needing to know if Becky was fine with this, with her having this locket again. "I don't know, Becky, maybe I shouldn't have this yet..."