Chapter 19: Dust Walkers

Start from the beginning

Intrigued, Alora walked along the edge of the ravine, about half a mile away from where Ryu and Fern continued their argument. As she gazed down, the shadows deepened, and the contours of the ravine revealed an unexpected discovery. Whistling sharply, Alora beckoned Ryu and Fern to join her, their voices still carrying the undertones of disagreement. Approaching Alora, the duo followed her gaze downward. Trails etched into the ravine walls drew their attention, leading towards an opening. Following these trails with synchronized curiosity, their eyes widened as they beheld a sprawling city nestled within the depths of the ravine. The city seemed elevated, with a moat, originating from a pipe on the ravine wall. The most is all dried up and the sand is mostly dry which would infer it has been dry for quite a bit of time. The sight sparked a renewed sense of wonder and anticipation.

In the waning light of the desert sun, Alora, Ryu, and Fern traced the trail with their eyes, seeking its secretive entrance. To their left, a canyon tower loomed, its orange sandstone and sand seemingly guarding ancient secrets. Drawn to it, they approached, splitting up to explore its mysteries. It was Fern who first discovered the entrance, a subtle decline leading into the heart of the earth. Ryu, with a nod of determination, led the way into the cavernous tunnel. Their journey inside, lit by the faint glow of bioluminescent moss, was a descent into the unknown. The tunnel, an artery carved into the very heart of the canyon, eventually opened onto the path they had been seeking. Glancing up to where they had stood moments ago, they shared a laugh, the irony of their earlier confusion not lost on them, although Alora found less humor in it, pressing forward with a focused stride.

As they rounded a curve, the city of the Dust Walkers revealed itself in its full, majestic glory. Nestled within the ravine, it was a marvel of architecture and nature, seamlessly intertwined. Alora inhaled deeply, the weight of her mission pressing upon her. Ryu, sensing her apprehension, offered a silent gesture of support, brushing his hand against hers. She smiled faintly, bolstered by his presence. Approaching the gates, they were greeted by four lizard folk guards. Their scales shimmered in a kaleidoscope of colors—greens, blues, purples, yellows, oranges, and reds. Each guard was adorned with spines on their heads and along their tails, which dragged across the ground. Their bright red eyes and long, slender tongues flickered with curiosity and caution.

Ryu's towering presence caused a stir among the guards, their weapons lowering in a mix of respect and intimidation

Ryu's towering presence caused a stir among the guards, their weapons lowering in a mix of respect and intimidation. The guard who stepped forward offered apologies for their wariness, explaining the rarity of visitors in their secluded realm. Alora, with diplomatic grace, waved away the need for apologies, but her request to speak with their "king" stirred a sudden flurry of whispers and concerned glances. The lead guard, his spine bristling slightly, hurriedly corrected her, revealing the matriarchal nature of their society. The Dust Walkers were led by a queen, and any assumption otherwise was a grave faux pas in their culture. Alora, realizing her mistake, offered her sincere apologies, her words tinged with respect and a newfound understanding of the unique customs of the Dust Walkers. The guards, now more at ease, gestured for them to follow, leading them into the heart of the city, a realm where ancient traditions and modern dilemmas were about to intertwine.