14.Welcome to the underworld

As the dead got off the boat we found ourselves following them up a well-worn path.

It definitely had seen its fair share of people I doubt many were alive like us though.

In all honesty the entrance to the underworld was a surprise. I suppose I was expected these dramatic giant black doors that Cerberus was chained against but instead it was kinda like airport security.

There were three separate entrances each decked out with metal detectors and security cameras and there were even tollbooths manned by black robed ghouls. It made me wonder, what dangerous thing could ghosts possibly sneak in?

The howls were starting to get really loud and the thing sounded very hungry.

"We'd better hurry up," I said not wanting to meet the three headed dog.

"What do you figure?"

"The fast line must go straight to the Asphodel fields," Annabeth said. "No contest, they don't want to risk judgement from the court because it might go against them."

"There's a court for dead people?"

"Well of course they gotta get judged for their life somewhere," I said. "There's three judges who switch around who sits on the bench. There's Shakespeare, King Minos, and Thomas Jefferson." I said remember what I've read about the underworld.

"Sometimes they decide people need a special reward, the Fields of Elysium. Sometimes they decide they need punishment. But most people, well they've just lived, nothing special good or bad, so they go to the Asphodel fields."

"And do what?"

"Imagine standing in a wheat field in Kansas forever."

"Y'know that kinda sucks, imagine living a bland just to spend the rest of your life in the most blandest place in the underworld." I said shaking my head.

"Harsh," Percy said.

"Not as harsh as that," Grover said, "look."

Turning we were met with the sight of a couple of black robed ghouls pulling aside one spirit frisking him at the security desk.

"He's the preacher that made the news remember?" Grover said to Percy talking about a moment that me and Annabeth were oblivious to.

"Y'know that reminds me I haven't watched a good cartoon in years," I said leaning on Annabeth referencing the lack of tv's at camp half-blood.

"I forgot the last time I've watched one," she said shrugging.

If camp half-blood was one thing it definitely a lame place to be as a kid. I mean sure it's cool for a while but you'd start to miss the taste of candy bars and watching your favorite shows.

"What's happening to him?"

"Probably some kinda special punishment," I guess looking around. I still couldn't spot the guard dog of the underworld. "The really bad people Hades has his eyes on from the start and the kindly ones give them hands on torture."

"But he's a preacher," Percy said, "he believes in a different...."

"He probably sees something different, even in death humans see what they want."

As we got closer the howling was so loud it made the ground rumble.

About fifty feet away from us, right where the path split into three a shadowy monster stood.

At first we couldn't really make it out because it was half transparent. It was like it blended in with whatever it stood in front of, only its eyes looked solid.