13. Charon's british?

We stood in an alley looking at the big DOA recording studios words etched into marble.

Underneath stenciled on the glass door: NO SOLICITING . NO LOITERING. NO LIVING.

Even though it was a little while before midnight the lobby was still brightly lit and full of nothing but people.

At the desk sat a tough looking guy with an earpiece and glasses.

"Okay remember the plan." Percy said to us.

"Yea the plan," Grover gulped. "I love the plan."

"What happens if the plan doesn't work?" Annabeth said.

"Don't be such a negative Nancy," I said yawning.

"Yea we're going into the land of the dead and I shouldn't be negative."

Percy visibly darkened at this, he took out the four pearls looking at them with a hint of doubt.

"I'm sorry Percy," Annabeth said realizing what she had done. "We'll make it in time, it'll be fine."

"Yea man we got this far, we're basically home free at this point, we'll get the master bolt no with no problem." I said patting Percy back before Annabeth swatted my head.

"Ow!"

"You redheaded idiot! Do you want to jinx us?"

"Hey some of my hair's still black," I defended making her roll her eyes.

Percy sighed putting the pearls back in his pocket.

"Let's kick some underworld butt."

We walked into the DOA lobby.

My first impression was this was definitely the lobby of the underworld. The carpet and walls were steel gray, pencil cactuses grew in the corners like skeleton hands, Muzak played on the speakers, the place as a whole seemed dead. Even though the room was filled with people it didn't seem to have a pinch of life. Speaking of people, something felt off about them. Just glancing at them they looked fine but as I looked closer I noticed they looked a bit see through.

"Ghosts," I said realizing, I mean I don't know why I was surprised it was to be expected that nothing but ghosts where here. Then it hit me, the DOA stood for dead on arrival. It made sense, after all the only people who'd be coming in were dead.

Walking up to the security guard's desk we had to look up because it was a raised on a podium.

The guy was tall with chocolate brown skin and bleached blonde hair that was shaved military style. He leaned d

A black rose found itself under his silver name tag.

Charon, I read after taking a few seconds to decipher it.

Charon, Charon, wait wasn't that the ferrymen for the underworld? He was a son of Nyx who brought dead people to the underworld. If I remember correctly he also didn't like to be confused with-

"Chiron? Your name's Chiron?"

I sighed facepalming at Percy's comment.

Charon leaned across the desk. He held a sweet cold smile like he was trying to lure like a rattle snake before it gobbles you up.

"What a precious young lad." He said in a British accent. "Tell me, mate, do I look like a centaur?"

"N-no," Percy said blushing.

"Sir," Charon added

"Sir," Percy repeated.

"Can you read this, mate? C-H-A-R-O-N. Say it with me CARE-ON."