Blueberries and new beginnings

Start from the beginning

I giggled at their interaction, and everyone who was left in the locker room began walking to the cafeteria. I followed them shyly, walking a few feet behind them, and listening to their conversation.  I was still nervous, and scared I'll have a hard time blending in and finding my place in a group that was so knit close already.

We arrived at the cafeteria. I followed the girls as they swiped their cards in some sort of beeping machine, then took a tray and filled it with a few fruits. I wasn't all that hungry.

The girls seemed to gravitate toward a large table in the corner, already occupied by some of their teammates. I followed Beth as she gestured for me to join them. As I was about to sit next to her, Leah intervened, whistling and getting up from her seat.

"No, you sit next to me, California."

Leah gestured toward the empty seat next to her, her tone both playful and inviting. I couldn't help but wonder if it was a trap. If she was going to empty her water bottle over my head. Taking a leap of faith, I sat down next to Leah, cautiously eyeing her. She laughed at my cautious gaze.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna prank you. I have what, three whole seasons for it?" She asked, referring to how many years I had signed at Arsenal.

"Yeah, three. Hopefully more." I answered honestly. I looked around and everyone seemed to have their conversations.

"So, what did you think of your first training here?" She asked, nudging my shoulder. I scoffed, rolling my eyes, taking a blueberry between my fingers and popping it in my mouth.

"I sucked, that's what I think."

Leah laughed, a hearty sound that echoed through the bustling cafeteria. And I found it was already one of my new favorite sounds. Leah leaned back in her chair, taking a sip of her water.

"You're being too hard on yourself. First training sessions are always a bit overwhelming," she said, her eyes fixed on mine. "And, I mean, not to throw flowers at myself, but I'm pretty good at what I do, and you're a 19-year-old who never played pro before. Can't expect you to have the session of your life." She said, and I sighed softly, shrugging, looking down at my plate.

"Maybe," I then mumbled. She sat straight up again, then leaned her head so she could look at my eyes. Then, she put her hand on my thigh. And I became as red as the patch on her jumper.

"Hey. You're just at the beginning. One day, you'll have it all. Trust me, you have immense potential."

Leah's words were a soothing balm to my frayed nerves while her hand was a fire bomb to my brain. I wondered if I was going to explode. I tried to play it off.

"Thanks, Leah," I replied sincerely.

Her hand lingered for a moment longer on my thigh before she withdrew it, a friendly smile replacing the intense gaze. I thanked her again, feeling a warmth in the acceptance and encouragement she offered.

"This team, this club, it's like a family. We've got your back, and we'll help you become the best player you can be," Leah added, her gaze unwavering.

The weight on my shoulders lifted a bit, and I found comfort in Leah's encouraging words.

As the lunch progressed, I engaged in conversations with other teammates, gradually feeling more integrated into the lively dynamics of the group. Beth, sitting across from me, exchanged playful glances with Leah, the two of them throwing feet at each other under the table. I wondered what was so funny, as they didn't even have to say a word to understand each other.

"So, What's California like?" Lotte, sitting right next to me, asked. I chuckled at the question, drinking a gulp of water.

"Sunny," I said, raising an eyebrow towards the glass wall showing the grey in the sky around us. She and a few girls laughed at my answer.

"Well, you're gonna bring some of that California sunshine with you next game, right?" she said, nudging me playfully.

I laughed softly. I knew I wasn't going to be playing the next game. But even warming the bench was going to be an unforgettable experience. I never had the opportunity to watch Arsenal play in a stadium; I'll be a fangirl more than a player and I knew it.

As lunch came to an end, the girls started gathering their trays, ready to head back for the afternoon session. Leah stood up, extending an arm toward me.

"A little bird called Emma told me you came here with an Uber. No way I'm letting you pay 50£ to go back to London. You're riding with me."

As Leah extended her arm, I hesitated for a moment, considering her offer. The idea of riding back with Leah sounded intriguing, and it was a chance to get to know her better. I nodded, accepting her offer with a grateful smile.

"Thanks, Leah. That sounds great," I replied, rising from my seat. "I promise I won't make a habit out of it. Just need to find myself a car."

"Don't sweat it." She said, shrugging and smiling. Half an hour stuck in a car alone with Leah Williamson, this was going to be an interesting ride.