Chapter 16

5 hours later.

I walked out of the courthouse happy, yet sad. Mark and Mary had been sentenced to 10 years in jail both, and Emilie was going back to Canada with her grandparents two weeks after she gets out of the hospital. She'll stay with me and Justin those weeks so she'll be able to gather her belongings from the house, before it goes on sale.

I decided not to tell Emilie and Justin yet, so they wouldn't freak out.

I walked into the hospital and headed to Emilie's room. I slowly peeked inside and I saw Emilie, sitting up against her pillows, and Justin, sitting cross-legged in front of her.  

-"Hmmmm I like yellow." Emilie said quietly.  

-"Ew! I hate that color! Purple's obviously the best!" he smiled.  

Emilie smiled back.  

-"Okay so question #13... Are you superstitious?" she asked.

Oh they were playing 20 questions! I smiled to myself and opened the door wider just as Justin was about to speak. They both looked over at me and their smiles faded.  

-"So are they... going to jail?" Emilie whispered.  

-"Well the jury haven't quite decided yet..." I lied.

-"Oh okay... And no, I'm not superstitious" Justin answered, turning back to Emilie.

*Next morning*

-"Justin I'm bored!" Emilie whined.  

-"Well we could go take a walk... I could push you in the wheelchair!" he said excitedly.  

-"Yes! We could go visit other patients! Like little kids and seniors and talk to them!!" she squealed excitedly.

-"I'll go ask the doctor if he has a wheelchair for you." I stepped out of the room and asked the doctor if they could go visit other patients, or if Emilie had to stay in bed. He said it was fine, since she was healing so well. I grabbed the wheelchair and pushed it back to Emilie's room. Justin gently picked her up and placed her carefully on it. She winced slightly as he sat her up on it.  

-"Sorry.." he whispered before kissing her forehead.

He stepped behind the wheelchair and started pushing her towards the door.  

-"So, where to first?" he asked her.  

-"I think we should go visit the seniors... I like hearing their stories, some are really interesting!" her eyes lit up with excitment.  

I trailed behind them and followed them to the senior's wing of the hospital. I went to a doctor that was standing there.  

-"Hello Doctor, my son and his friend were wondering if they could go visit some of the patients, talk to them, you know, like some volunteering work.." I asked him.  

He smiled at me.  

-"Well that's very nice of them to do that! Here, I have a list of some of the patients whom we have noticed don't get visitors that often, if they could go visit them first, and keep them company, it would be really great!"

He searched through some papers on his clipboard and pulled out a long page with about a dozen names with their room numbers and medical conditions on it. I thanked the doctor and walked over to Justin and Emilie. I handed them the page and told them what the doctor had told me. We then walked to the room of the first person on the list.

*4 hours later*

Emilie's POV

-"Okay bye Howard! We'll come visit you again soon!"  

I waved goodbye as Justin pushed me out of the room. I leaned my head back so I could look up at Justin.  

-"Well that was fun!" I said excitedly.  

-"Yes! We should do it again soon!" he replied with a smile.

We had gone through the whole list, spending about 20 minutes with each patient, chatting. It was amazing to hear their stories. I could never get tired of it. We really seemed to make their days a whole lot brighter! I love making people happy!

We reached my room again and Justin lifted me up on my bed.  

-"Get some rest, and this afternoon when you wake up we'll go to the adolescent unit! Who knows, there might be Bieber fans there!" he said excitedly.  

I smiled.  

-"Wow Justin, you really love your fans don't you?"  

He smiled and nodded.  

-"Well of course I do! I mean without them, I wouldn't be here!" he said proudly.  

I yawned.

-"Okay, now you get some rest while I go get something to eat for when you get up okay?" he asked.  

I nodded and closed my eyes. I heard him get up and walk to the door, closing it softly behind him.

Justin's POV

I found my way to the cafeteria downstairs. It was the first time in almost 4 weeks that I've left Emilie's side. I felt alone. I sort of rushed at the back of the line, I wanted to make this quick so I could go back to Emilie's room. I didn't like to leave Emilie alone in the room, especially not after Mark and Mary tried to kidnap me.

I ordered five ham and cheese sandwiches for me, and two peanut butter jelly sandwiches for Emilie. I was so hungry I could've probably eaten twice as more, but the woman at the counter was just looking at me with huge eyes. And I didn't want to walk around the halls with my arms full of sandwiches. I also ordered four chocolate chip cookies, two for each of us, and two bottles of water.

I turned around, struggling with holding all those sandwiches, and slowly walked back upstairs. I paused at the door, and heard somebody talking inside. I pressed my ear against it. I listened at what was going on inside for a while, and what I heard made me drop what I was holding in my arms on the ground.