Chapter 15

Emilie's POV

I was trying to sit up properly when Justin slowly walked through the door. His cheeks were wet with tears, and he was still sobbing quietly. Man that boy can cry! I winced as I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I suddenly felt something gentle help me sit up. I looked up and saw Justin, looking down at me, worried. He had one arm under my knees and another across my back, holding my waist. He held me for about two seconds, then sat me down. He just stood there for a while, looking so upset. I just looked at him, feeling confused.

-"Thanks..." I said quietly.  

He looked at me with sad eyes.  

-"Emilie... I'm so so so so sorry! I want you to understand that I really am sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I don't know what happened, I guess I was just mad at your aunt and uncle and I just couldn't understand why you were defending them..." He looked down, closing his eyes. He was now sitting on the edge of my hospital bed.

I slowly and painfully extended my left arm and placed my finger under his chin. I pulled it up so he'd look at me. He saw me wince as I had trouble lifting my heavy cast. He gently took hold of my hand and supported it so I wouldn't have to force anymore. He smiled a small smile and held my hand to his cheek.

-"Justin, it just hurt me when you slapped me. You really were the last person I ever thought who would hurt me this way... And it made me feel like... I couldn't trust anybody anymore. I mean I trusted my parents: they're gone. I trusted my aunt and uncle: they hurt me. I trusted my friends back home: I had to leave them. I trusted you: well, you know... So I felt like I'd never be able to trust anybody again." I whispered, a few tears rolling down my cheek.

He slowly let go of my hand and raised his hand. I tensed up automatically. I saw something cross his eyes, pain maybe... I'm not sure; he quickly hid it with a small smile.  

He placed his hand on my cheek and slowly wiped my tears away with his thumbs. He was so gentle that I barely felt scared of him hitting me again. He took his hand away and his eyes looked sad again.

-"Now I know you'll probably never forgive me, but I-" he started.  

-"Never say never" I cut him off with a smile.

My dad used to tell me that all the time when I felt like I couldn't achieve something. It sorta became my motto, whenever somebody would complain about something, I'd tell them that.

He smiled at me.  

-"I promise Emilie: if you give another chance, I PROMISE I won't ever hurt you. Ever again." he looked so sincere.

I smiled and nodded.  

-"I believe you." I whispered.  

He smiled the biggest smile I've ever seen in my life. He hugged me. It made my stomach hurt, but I didn't mind. Right then Pattie walked in. She saw me and Justin hugging and smiled. We pulled apart and i leaned back against the pillows. I was freaking exhausted. I looked up at Justin and saw him rubbing his eyes. He really needs his sleep. I scooted on the right side of the bed, leaving a space for him.

He looked down at me.  

-"Justin, you SERIOUSLY need to sleep, you look like a zombie." I told him.  

-"And I FEEL like a freaking zombie too.." he mumbled while swinging his legs up on the bed.

He layed down on the pillow next to me and turned sideways, so he was facing me. I couldn't really turn on my side, because of my stomach, so I just turned my head his way.  

-"Thanks Emilie. For giving me another chance." he smiled a big smile.  

-"No problem Justin" I whispered.