Chapter 8

Justin's POV

She nodded and ran out the room, already dialing 9-11 from her cell. I looked down at Emilie again. She had a deep cut below her eye that went right through her cheek. Her beautiful dirty blonde hair was all messed up, the exact opposite of what it had been when we were at the beach. Both her arms and her right leg were twisted at weird angles, probably broken.

Then I noticed something I hadn't seen before. A cut on her stomach that looked really bad. A lot of blood was coming out of it, and when I say a lot, i mean A LOT. I racked my brain, trying to remember what they had taught us in First Aid classes last year. A light bulb flicked on in my head. Put some pressure on it!

I took off my shirt, and pressed it on her stomach, to try and stop the bleeding a little. My mom came in at that moment. She looked at Emilie and kneeled down next to me.  

-"The woman said they'd be here the fastest they can come. What's going on?"  

-"She has a deep cut on her stomach and I'm trying to stop the bleeding. Both her arms and her leg looks broken, her cheek is cut..." 

Tears filled my eyes again. I broke down crying. My mom hugged me from the side.

-"It's okay honey. I'm sure she'll be just fine, she's a strong girl." she said.  

-"It's not that mom, she.. she told me that her uncle punched her yesterday, because she was refusing to stay away from me. And I really think that it's the same reason they did this to her. I.. I just can't bear thinking it's my fault they're doing this to her!"  

-"So that's why she has a big bruise on her cheek..." my mom said quietly.  

I sniffed and took my shirt off Emilie's stomach.

It was now soaked with her blood, and my fingers were all sticky with it. My mom handed me her hoodie she was wearing. I rolled it up in a ball and pressed it on Emilie's stomach.  

-"Justin, it's not your fault! It's Mary and Mark's! You're not the one hurting her, and it's not YOUR fault they don't like you!" She looked at Emilie and shook her head.  

-"I just can't believe they could do something like this! They were so nice yesterday!"

Then the front door opened. We heard an ambulance siren in the background.  

-"WE'RE IN HERE!" my mom yelled.  

Two men burst through the door, carrying a stretcher. I left the hoodie on Emilie's stomach and backed away.  

-"What happened here?" one of the men turned to me while the other started checking her pulse.  

-"Well I received a text about 15 minutes from her; it said Help quick. We rushed here and found her like this. Her stomach's bleeding really bad, she has a deep cut there and on her cheek too; I think her right leg and arms are broken, they're all twisted in a weird way..." I said all in one breath.

He nodded and kneeled next to the other man. He repeated what I had just told him and they got up. They carefully lifted her up and placed her on the stretcher. They practically sprinted out the door. My mom stepped in front of me, blocking my vision. My sight was blurry from tears anyways. 

-"Mom.." I asked slowly, looking at my feet.  

-"Yes honey?"  

-"Is it normal for my heart to hurt this much seeing her like this?" I asked, tears streaming down my cheeks.

My mom bent down to level her face with mine, since I STILL hadn't gotten my growth spurt. It's a good thing Emilie's short, or it would be awkward.

She gently moved my hair that had fallen over my eyes. She wiped some of my tears off and looked into my eyes.  

-"Honey, it's called love. You love her, I see it in the way you look at her. You care for her, you can't stand seeing her hurt. You want to protect her from everything that might hurt her, you feel like Superman when you're standing up for her."

I smiled as she said this. Every single part of this was true.  

-"I used to feel this way for your dad..."  

She looked down and I saw tears roll down her cheeks. I hugged her and she hugged back. We just stood there for a while. Not talking, just hugging each other.

Suddenly the front door opened. We heard Mark and Mary's voices yelling at each other. Me and my mom pulled away and ran for the back door. Who knows what they'd do to us if they found out that we found out about them beating Emilie?

Right when I was about to turn the doorknob, the living room door burst open.  

-"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TWO DOING HERE? AND WHERE IS EMILIE?!?!" a deep voice roared furiously.  

Me and my mom slowly turned around, to see Mary and Mark. If looks could kill... My mom and I would be dead 30 times by now.

-"Ummmm... We heard Emilie screaming, and we wondered if something was wrong, so we came and knocked on the door... there was no answer so I just opened it; it was unlocked. We found Emilie lying here, practically dying, so we called an ambulance and she's at the hospital right now." My mom explained calmly.  

Mary just glared at us, looking pissed.

-"Now, if you'll excuse us, WE will be heading to the HOSPITAL, to check if YOUR niece is alright, since YOU GUYS pretty much almost KILLED her!" my mom excused us and we took off running out the door to our house.

I grabbed a random shirt on the ground and mom grabbed her car keys from the counter. We ran to the car and pulled out the driveway. We were clearly driving above the speed limit, but no one stopped us. We parked the car in the hospital's parking lot and ran inside the building to the front desk.

-"In which room is Emilie Smith?" my mom asked breathlessly.  

-"Hmmmm... She's in room 44, right down this hall, to the left" the woman at the desk replied, motionning to a hall to her right.  

My mom thanked her while I ran down the hall, my eyes scanning the doors for #44. When I finally reached it, I softly opened the door.