Chapter 13

Pattie's POV

I walked inside the police station. There was a man in his early thirties sitting at the front desk, reading a car magazine. He heard me walk in and he looked up. He checked me out and smiled creepily.  

-"Well hello there! Now how can I... Help you?" He winked at me.  

I rolled my eyes.  

-"I'm married" I lied.  

-"And I am too" he winked again.  

I glared at him.

-"Seriously, I have an emergency" I said impatiently.  

-"Does it involve me?" he winked again.  

-"Do you have something in your eye? It keeps blinking on its own.." I said smoothly.  

He looked down, not saying anything. Hahahahah gotcha!  

-"So what's your emergency?" he asked quietly, clearing his throat.

I explained him the whole story, from when Mary slapped Emilie for the first time after our dinner, to when we found Emilie unconscious the day after. He wrote things down and walked through a door behind him.

He came back with an old, balding man wearing a suit. He motionned me to follow him. I did as I was told and walked after him into an office. I sat down on a folding chair in front of the desk.

-"So, Mrs..." 

-"Pattie Mallette." 

-"Right, Mrs. Mallette. Are you sure about pressing charges against Mr Mark Smith and Mrs Mary Smith?"  

I nodded.  

-"Okay well do you have their adress? So we can go get them..."  

I told the man the adress. He nodded.  

-"Okay Mrs Mallette, we'll give you a call when we get more details alright? And as for their niece, we will contact her family in Canada; that is, if she has any. If she does, she goes back with them, but if she doesn't, she'll have to get in foster care. Now have a good day!" he shook my hand and led me out the door.

I slowly walked to the car and drove back to the hospital. It had been an hour since I had left. I was sared to face Justin and Emilie; they would be very upset that I basically separated them. I feel so bad for them. They're so young! They just want to spend some time together, be friends! And I just barge in and take that away from them. They're gonna be crushed.

I slowly made my way up the stairs and opened the door. What I saw horrified me.  

-"OH MY GOSH! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING?!" I screamed out.