Chapter 12

Justin's POV

An idea burst through my mind. I grabbed my mom's hand and pulled her in the hallway.  

-"Hey Justin what are you doing?" she asked confusedly.  

-"We want to do something about Mary and Mark, right?" 

-"Yeahhh..." 

-"She doesn't want to get adopted by strangers, right?" 

I smiled.  

-"Justin where are you going with this?" she said confusedly.  

-"We're not strangers..."  

I smiled even wider. Her eyes widened as she understood what I meant. She smiled.  

-"Justin that's a great idea! Then she could be like the daughter I never had! " She squealed excitedly.  

-"Alright, let's go tell her!"  

-"Wait..."  

Her face dropped. I looked over at her worriedly.  

-"What mom?"

She sighed.  

-"It's not that easy. If she has some more family back in Canada, it's to them she goes back to; they're the first priority. Only if she has no more family, we MIGHT be able to, it's not certain. They might find some people who want to take care of her who are better suited for the job. And it's a LONG process, to gain custody of a child. It takes weeks, months, sometimes even years." 

I closed my eyes, hurt. This would never work out. A silent, single tear rolled down my cheek. My mom wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into a hug. I buried my face in her shoulder, sobbing quietly.

-"I'm so confused mommy, i want to be with her, but I don't want her to be hurt! I don't know what to do!" I whispered.  

She pulled back and moved the hair from my eyes again.  

-"I know that you will make the right choice Justin. I'm sure you will."  

She smiled a tiny smile and turned back to Emilie's room. I took a deep breath and followed her inside.

Emilie was lying on her back, looking at the ceiling. She turned her head and smiled weakly at me. She scooted over to give me some space next to her. I layed next to her again and turned sideways, so I was facing her. I smiled.  

-"Justin you should go back to sleep..." she whispered, trailing her fingers under my eyes, outlining the bags I had.

I smiled at her. It was sweet how she cared about me.  

-"But you just woke up! I want to catch up with stuff!" I whined.  

-"Justin, I was unconscious the whole time! What's the stuff to catch up about??" she said, giggling.  

-"Right... Okay goodnight then!"  

I rolled under the covers and closed my eyes. Within seconds, I was out.

Pattie's POV

Justin closed his eyes and instanty fell asleep. Emilie gently lifted her hand and ran her fingers through Justin's hair. It was so cute, but I could see she was having trouble to find the strength to lift her heavy cast. I crossed my legs, making the chair I was sitting on squeak.

Emilie jumped and slowly turned to me. She gasped in pain and clutched her stomach. I jumped from my chair and ran next to her. I helped her turn around and sat back down. She smiled at me.  

-"Thanks Pattie" she whispered out, still holding her stomach awkwardly with her arms.  

-"No problem sweetie!"

I gave her my best smile. She smiled back and closed her eyes. I took advantage of the moment to step out and make some phone calls.

I sneaked out the room and walked out the hospital. I drove the car downtown and pulled infront of a brick building.