Claudia clicked her tongue, but my father pressed on. "He needs to know, Claudia. He's been living a very sheltered life. It's time he learned about us, about what we are, about what we do. Don't you agree?" Although my father's voice was soft, there was a hint of an authoritative tone.

Claudia sighed and I watched my father rub a hand over his mouth.

"I'm not sure how he would take it, Conri." Claudia's voice shook slightly. "He thinks ... well, I never told him what I am. What we all are here. He's never shown any signs of having a wolf himself. And I'm glad."

"But, Claudia ..."

"No, Conri." I heard her shift in her seat. "For years, I worried about him. About what would happen if his wolf started to emerge ... about what it would mean for him. For the whole pack." She sniffed. "You have no idea how relieved I was when his wolf never showed up."

I swallowed, hearing a rushing sound in my ears. What were they talking about?

So, Radley ... didn't have a wolf after all?

But, he didn't smell like a human. Was he human?

Were all those without a wolf human?

For years, I had always been told to keep away from Radley, to try not to include him too much. I was never given a reason why. Just that ... he was to be kept on the outside. Every pack member was told the same.

Don't make Radley angry. Just smile at him and walk away.

But ... why?

Why would it be such a relief that he didn't have a wolf?

Listening to my father and Claudia talk ... it didn't make any sense. Didn't explain anything at all. He felt the mate bond. I knew he did.

So, what was Radley?

"Claudia," Dad started, his voice deep. "I know what you've been through, bringing him up all on your own. You've done a great job. He's a pleasant young man. And he could be an asset to this pack. Help us to become stronger."

"Why would he help you?" Claudia's voice was sharp. "You've never included him in pack life. You've always pushed him to the side. Never included him."

I watched as Dad hung his head. "I know. It's my fault he's been ... an outsider. It's all my fault. And I'm sorry."

"It's not me you should be apologising to."

I held my breath as the room went quiet. I could hear movement in the kitchen as Radley carried on making some tea, completely unaware of the conversation happening about him in the living room.

What was going on?

Radley seemed completely unaware of so much ... did Claudia have anything to do with that? Or my father? Were they keeping Radley in the dark about our life?

Why?

Especially when he lived here ... in the pack. Whether he had a wolf or not, he had a right to know where he lived.

Didn't he?

"Will you think about what I've said?" Dad asked, bringing my attention back to the living room. "I think Radley would fit in well with pack life. Wolf or not, he lives here. And he deserves to know the truth about what he lives with." I smiled a little as my dad had agreed with what I had just thought.

I truly was his son.

Claudia grunted. "And then what?"

I saw Dad frown as he leaned forward in his seat, resting his elbows on his knees. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"What happens when Radley learns about us? Becomes part of pack life? Then what will happen to him?"

"Nothing will happen to him," Dad assured her, his voice soft, a small smile playing on his lips. "The pack will protect him. Just like they protect him now. And every other member of this pack."

"Like they protected Tala?" Claudia snapped.

My dad's face fell, his lips turning down at the mention of Tala's name.

"I let Tala down," Dad murmured, his voice shaking.

"Do you know what happened to her?" Claudia asked, her voice softening a little.

I saw my father shake his head, then run both hands through his dark hair. "We have scouts searching the lands, more warriors guarding the borders, and I will be enforcing a curfew." He blew out a breath. "Just till we catch whoever caused ..."

His voice trailed off as he hung his head once more. My vision blurred slightly as the sting of Tala's death pricked at my heart again.

The living room went quiet. My dad rested his head in his hands and I could hear the flames of the open fire licking up the side of the chimney. Cups clinked together, the sound coming from the kitchen.

I pressed back against the wall, leaning my head against it, wrapping my arms around my waist. I had ... no idea what was going on. Everything suddenly seemed so ... secretive.

My dad had said he had something to tell me concerning Radley, but he hadn't said anything. Not yet. I wanted to bring it up, but didn't want to seem too eager. Dad still didn't know Radley was my mate. And I wasn't sure which of the two conversations to have with him first.

Fuck.

Running a hand down my face, I heard the sounds of the kitchen get louder, telling me that Radley was about to walk through the door at any moment.

I walked towards the kitchen, ready to hold open the door, when I heard my dad's voice once more.

"Tell me something, Claudia," he said. "Did you feel the snap? When Tala died?"

I couldn't see the living room from where I was standing near the kitchen, but I heard Claudia huff.

"Don't be ridiculous, Conri," she snapped. "I don't have time for silly things like that."

I frowned. All members of the pack felt it when a pack member died, even the elders. If Claudia hadn't felt the snap, that meant she wasn't a member of this pack.

Wait ... what?

Claudia wasn't a member of this pack?

Was Radley?