"Listen..." Becky tried.

"No, I get it, that won't happen. I heard you loud and clear. But I'm begging you, for Beckett's sake, don't leave him now, not after he met you and Emily. He may not know you the way I do, but I can see him growing fond of you. And I don't want him to lose you. I'll stop getting in your way and I'll stop begging you to love me again. But please, if you're leaving home, don't forget him."

"He's my son. I would never hurt him." Becky promised. She then gave Freen one last look and walked away towards her room.

//

The next few days were quite tough to say the least. Freen kept trying her best to stay out of Becky's way. So much so that when Becky entered a room, Freen would leave. And Becky hadn't meant for it to turn out this way, she never wanted Freen to feel like she can't move around freely in her own home.

If Freen thought by making herself scarce before Becky it was causing her less pain, Becky found it was doing quite the opposite, she hated that when she came downstairs for breakfast, breakfast was already laid out and Freen was nowhere to be seen. She hated that Freen would eat dinner early, or later at night, just to avoid Becky.

She hated that when Freen passed her by, she wouldn't look into her eyes like she used to. She hated that maybe, just maybe, Freen had given up. But wasn't that what she wanted in the first place? For Freen to stop trying to repair things. She had wanted that. Then why did it feel so wrong all of a sudden?

Beckett though, just as Freen had said, was growing too fond of Becky. He wanted to go out with them sometimes, when Becky took his P'Emi shopping, or just for a walk. He loved when Becky carried him and kissed his cheeks. He especially loved when Becky would volunteer to read to him. He used to love it when Auntie NamNam would read to him in the evenings on weekends, and now, he loved that Becky could do the same.

He found that Becky was doing a lot of what his Auntie NamNam used to do and he didn't mind it. They were both so lovely to him and always bought him cool toys to play with.

One night, Becky was sitting on her bed and watching Emily colour in one of her school books, right next to her when Beckett came to her door.

"Hey there baby, come here na..." She said to him.

He looked nervous. It alarmed Becky. She wondered where Freen was. It was late and if he felt unsafe he would have gone to her first. She sat up straighter and almost got up to carry him, knowing that would comfort him. But he stepped forward and crawled onto the bed to sit cross legged beside Emily and facing Becky.

"What's wrong baby? Where's Mama?" Becky asked him, reaching out to caress his sweet face.

"Mama is asleep. I didn't want to wake her."

"Okay... are you alright?"

"I wanted to ask you something and its okay if you don't want to do it."

Becky's curiosity knew no bounds, what could the little boy possibly want that she would say no to. "Okay ka. I'm all ears." She assured him.

"This coming Friday is my class's Open Day. Everyone has to bring their parents to school..."

"Ah-ha?" Becky urged him to continue.

"Mama came last year. But everyone else had two parents and I only had one. And Johnny kept teasing me. And I didn't want to tell Mama cause I didn't want to hurt her. But I want to take 2 parents to open day too."

Becky knew what was coming, she waited him out.

"Will you be my second parent?" He asked. And he looked so hesitant, so scared to let the words out.