Ch. 34- Crossing the Threshold.

Start from the beginning

There was a lift to go downstairs, but I took the stairs to descend. My head was spinning at their offer.

How much money can people have to waste on their hobbies as business ventures? Jasper was a good kid, without a doubt, but giving him millions of dollars to build some robots? Making me the nanny to Jasper in that business? 

How long had they even known me? 

How much did they even know about my past?

These people had zero clue about me. What made them think I would accept their lucrative offer like this?

I was feeling a bit nauseated.

_________________________________________________________

The bartender gave me a weird look when I told him to fix me a drink. I mimicked his expression back at him.

"What?" I asked, sounding like an entitled brat.

"We have been commanded by our supervisor not to serve you any alcohol," he said in a mechanical voice.

I sighed at his comment.

"Who did this?" I asked involuntarily.

"I did," Rhys whispered in the back of my neck, and my whole body curled up.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I turned back to him with a furious tone.

His Prussian blue eyes first fell on my face; his lips parted a bit, then they fell on my chest. A shimmer danced on his face, but he looked at me again and asked,

"Why are your tits out like that? "His voice purred heavily, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Why do you care?" I asked, still wearing the same red gown from the night I had wooed Rhys away from the staircases.

"You were pretty shy that night. What happened to you today? Why show off your assets?" He teased, his tone cheeky. I rolled my eyes and attempted to move away, but he grabbed my arm with one hand and my waist with the other, pulling me closer to him.

Rhys's face stirred unknown feelings within me—a sensation of joy tugging at my heartstrings. His eyes sparkled like violet stars in the twilight light, the golden, white fairy lights around us turning his irises into galaxies.

"Don't fall for the beauty... Remember how he lied to you, how much he scared you," Li'l Kaya in my heart warned me.

I lowered my gaze from his face to avoid his captivating eyes.

He lifted my chin to meet his gaze. Making eye contact with him was becoming increasingly difficult for me; his expressions were unreadable, almost untraceable.

"Kay, I know you're mad at me, but be aware, Rita is here. She'll make a scene given the opportunity," he whispered in my face. I didn't respond.

"You should have worn something a bit more modest. A lot of our employees and business affiliates are here," he remarked. This irked me, as most of the girls were wearing revealing dresses designed by Nina herself.

"Why does it bother you, Rhys? Everyone's wearing the same thing as me. Why do you care?" I retorted, heat seeping into my tone.

"Rita will say something that will..."

"I can handle Rita. Besides, I don't think your employees will care about my dress, as I am Rhys Volkner's girlfriend, isn't it? I doubt they would even dare to lay their eyes on me," I hissed, trying to provoke him. But it seemed to have the opposite effect.

He smiled at me like a devil.

"I fucking love the way you talk to me, little Viper. As if you are spitting your venom in my face, and I fucking love that!!!" Rhys purred in a charming way. I pushed him away from me, yet I could still feel his eyes glued to me, sensing his crooked smile lingering.