Chapter Thirty-seven: Abandoned

Start from the beginning

"I sincerely never wanted to hurt him. Your brother resembles you. It sickened me to see his hair matted with blood."

Cressida's face briefly paled at the description before she let out a scoff. "So, if he didn't resemble me, you'd have killed him?"

"Cressida, no, that's not what I meant," Callidus replied, stumbling over his words. "He's a prince. The repercussions of killing a prince, even from such a weak nation-" His explanation faltered as Cressida shot him a wounded look. Stammering, he tried to backtrack, "I didn't mean to belittle Eflia. I just wanted to say-"

"Stop," Cressida interrupted. "Just stop." Frustration clawed at the back of Callidus's throat, a surge of desperate explanations yearning to escape his lips, but he fell silent. She turned away, her gaze locked on the closed bedroom door. "Why don't you want me to see Jasper by myself? Be honest."

"I... I'm not entirely sure," Callidus admitted. "I want to be there to ensure things go smoothly to... to guide the conversation if needed."

"You mean control it."

Callidus took a deep breath, grappling with his own weakness before he conceded, "Yes, control it. I do not like the thought of not being able to control what the two of you speak about. It frightens me."

Cressida's anger softened into weariness, and she turned towards him. "Callidus," she murmured. "I haven't seen my brother since leaving Eflia. I'm not going to go in there to badmouth you; I'm not going to think about you at all. I'm going to ask about my family, see how he's doing, and cry while hugging him."

Callidus's jaw tightened at her words, a surge of insecurity and possessiveness scratching at his insides. "I... just want to be in the room, Cressida. I won't interrupt."

"Callidus, why? Why can't you give me two seconds with my brother? You've had me all to yourself for months."

"Your brother had you all your life. I've had you for a summer."

"Callidus, I'm not your possession."

"Cressida, it's taking everything in me to resist dragging you back to Windridge right now. That is not a threat. It is truth."

"Callidus, the fact that it's the truth makes it even more threatening."

"I'm sorry."

Cressida let out an exasperated hiss, before she muttered, "Fine. Just... stand in the doorway."

Nodding in relief, Callidus loomed behind her as the door cracked open. The bedchamber beyond was draped in complete darkness.

Jasper lay on the bed, shrouded in shadows, the faint light from the doorway revealing only the outline of his form beneath the covers. Cressida's silhouette approached, her hands hovering hesitantly in front of her chest, uncertain whether to disturb his rest. Finally, she settled on the edge of the bed, her entire focus fixed on her brother's face.

Callidus's presence cast a long, anxious shadow in the subdued light as he observed from his designated spot. His eyes strained to discern Cressida, shifting his attention to the air surrounding her, catching the subtle movement of her hand extending to brush against Jasper's cheek. Memories of Cressida's response to his own injury flashed through Callidus's mind, accompanied by a surge of yearning and envy.

The room held its breath until Cressida's voice shattered the stillness, laden with the imminent release of tears.

"...Yapper."

A pregnant pause lingered before the covers rustled, signaling Jasper's gradual awakening. "Jasper," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "Yapper."