⊱Chapter 16 🗡Mission Order⊰

Finally this long waited chapter is now up! Please read and enjoy and leave your comments to let me know what you thought. Without further ado, chapter 8 of Hidden Kingdom.

_______________________________________________________________

Crap, crap, crap.....I was freaking out as I hurried through the dark intricate hallways of the castle. Did his Majesty find out about Olivianna and her ex-lover?

Though the worst for him to find out would be my slight rebellion against him. That Dax and I had made a marriage arrangement so we could keep certain companions of ours. A bit selfish of us really but hey we weren't perfect.

Panic seeped into my being with every step, pretty soon I could feel myself hyperventilating uncontrollably. It felt like my consciousness had separated itself as my mind ran in a million different directions.

Jake ran up beside me as he tried to keep up with quick paced strides. Apparently he decided to tag along. Thinking I would need the support of a friend.

Lucky for him he happened to be correct. Half way down the hall he tugged on my elbow pulling me to a stumbling stop. "Jake let me go. If I don't hurry the King might have me punished. I could be lashed because of you. Let go!" I gasped desperate to get free of his grip.

Jake just shook his head, "He would do no such thing. You are his most promising warrior, as well as the jewel of his Kingdom. He can afford to wait a few more seconds. But I will be quick with what I have to say."

Still desperate with my mind in a fog, I managed to rationalize that the quickest way out of this situation was to let him speak his mind. Calming down just a hint I relented reluctantly, "All right, what is it you want to say?"

Gripping my arms almost painfully he began to shake me a bit. Confusing me further until he spoke, "Get a hold of yourself! You are thee Huntress. Nothing should frighten you. Freaking calm down and get your irrational fears under control! The King isn't going to harm you." Jake droned on.

Once again he had a point and I hated admitting when my best friend had a point. Taking a few deep breathes I calmed my heartbeat down. Regaining control of myself.

My father would have been disappointed to know that I had lost control of myself to fear.

Fear made me weak and I couldn't afford to be weak now. I had people depending on me. Opening my eyes I satisfied myself by glaring at Jake, but he only seemed relieved to see me snap out of the panic attack. Exasperated I slap him upside the head while narrowing my eyes.

Letting go of me he clutched the back of his head in surprise, "What was that for?" His voice rumbling with shock.

Snorting my slight amusement I crossed my arms, "Like you have to ask. Of course if you really want to know I will oblige you with the answer anyway. That my dear friend was for using that tone of voice with me, Jake Anthony Gressin."

"Well it isn't my fault you needed to be shocked out of your unstable mental state. You are a mean woman Avian." He continued to rub the back of his head where I had slapped him.

"Well you could have been gentler about it." Shoving past him I start the rest of my trek to his Majesty's throne room.

"Where's the fun in that? By the way wipe your face. There is so much blood on it that you look like a person imagined from a horror story told by the story tellers." Jake called out from behind me.

"Screw you." I called over my shoulder not bothering to pause in my stride. Using my sleeve I wipe at my face, now self-conscious thanks to my jerk of a best friend.