"It's not going to kill you to make one phone call, nu."

"I'm not ready to hear about Freen." Becky admitted out loud. But Mind knew, deep down, she wondered what her ex-partner's life's been like after she left.

Had she moved on? Had she found another? Was it Seng? Did she love him? All of these questions haunted her at night.

Mind had been woken by her nightmares sometimes. Becky has always talked in her sleep. There have been nights where she seems to be having arguments with Freen. Some nights she's weeping before her. But this last year it had gotten better. There were no more nightmares.

"You don't need to hear about her. Simply pick up the phone and ask Looknam how she is."

"I'll think about it, okay phi?" Becky said and then walked on to the kitchen to get lunch prepared.

//

"Hi there, my name is Emily. You can call me P'Emi na.."

The little boy from the new group of 4 year olds seemed oblivious to the hand held out in front of him. His attention was on the sketch pad he carried along with him for this trip. His Mama told him that if he ever felt nervous or out of place, to take it out of his bag and start drawing. And so he was doing exactly that.

"Hey..." The girl's voice sounded again. He hesitantly looked up at her.

"My name is Emily na ka.." She said once again, with her hand held out in offer for him to maybe shake.

"Hi." came his small, meek voice. And then he looked back down into his book and started drawing.

Emily took her hand back and thought for a moment. "You're going to miss out on a whole lot of fun na, if you keep hiding in your sketchpad." She said.

The boy looked up at her.

"Come on, let's go join the others. We can play lots of games and have lots of fun."

"I don't want to play games..." He said.

"Then what do you want to do, nong?" Emily asked him.

"I want to go back home to my Mama." He said.

Emily thought for a moment, and then, heaven knows what made her do what she did next, but she knelt before the little boy and said, "You know... when I was your age, my Mami gave me something and told me, that if I ever miss her, all I had to do was close my eyes and hold on tight to it, and immediately by some magic force, I wouldn't feel so bad anymore. Do you want to try it too? It might just work?"

The little boy nodded. Emily reached around her neck and took off her locket. She put it around his neck and he stared at it in awe.

"It's pwetty..." He whispered as his tiny little finger traced over the word 'Always' engraved on it.

"It's special! Now try it." She said excitedly. And so he did what he was told. Closed his eyes and all he could see in his head now was his Mama's beautiful eyes before he left for the trip. "Promise me you'll have fun na? Don't be shy to make new friends and don't be shy to look up from your book once in a while."

He opened his eyes to see Emily smiling brightly back at him. 

"Did it work?" Emily asked expectantly. He nodded excitedly in the affirmative, chuckling with her. "Awesome! I'll let you hold on to that for me for today, as long as you come with us now to play." She said.

"Okay kub, let's go, phi." He said as he rose from his seat and ran outdoors with Emily to where the other camp kids were playing.

"Beckett. My name is Beckett, phi." He said as he ran alongside Emily.