(1)

The screams were the first things she could remember. They were piercing, the kind of screams that make your hairs stand on end. Camila was walking from the bathroom when she heard them. The screams stuck in her head echoed in her ears. That's when she heard the gunfire, it sounded fake almost. It had to be fake, there couldn't be real gunfire at her school. Yet the screams didn't stop, doors were slamming now, she could hear the alarm go off. Lock down. Someone was in the building. Someone was in her school with a gun. The blaring of the alarm snapped her back into focus. She ran to the nearest classroom and banged on the door, the lights were off she could see kids inside but no one moved to let her in. Moving to the next room she was knocking trying to not attract the intruder yet at the same time get in the room. Again the girls just stared at her not moving to let her in. Tears were clouding her vision as she continued to run from room to room begging to be let in. She wasn't sure if new people were screaming or if the same ones were still echoing in her mind. A lump began to grow in her throat as she knocked on yet another door.

I don't want to die I don't want to die I don't want to die. She replayed the words in her head in an attempt to drown out the screaming. The gunfire was getting louder now. Somewhere a man was laughing, somewhere someone was yelling for help.

Her tears were blinding her as she stumbled to another door. slamming her hand against it she made eye contact with one of the kids.
"Please I don't want to die please" her voice was coming out in choked sobs. The girl held her gaze for what seemed like an eternity and then looked down.

"You're killing me please let me in please" she could barely hear her own voice over the constant shots of the gun.

She couldn't help but imagine who it was. BANG the sweat dripping down her face felt like the blood of the victims. BANG another girl dead never to see her family again. BANG another gone BANG another. The fear was overwhelming she couldn't move from that one door she was rooted there in pure terror.

Her tears kept flowing, the blood kept flowing, the girls kept screaming, the gun was still going off and amongst it all she could still hear the cold laughter.

Stumbling again she moved down the hallway praying that someone would open their door for her.

Her breath got caught in her throat as she cried. Suddenly a hand grabbed her shoulder and yanked her to the side. She was fumbling until she fell into the supply closet. Another girl quickly closed the door after her and made a motion not to scream.

She was strikingly pretty. Her hair was black. Like the color these funerals would be. She had full lips with red lipstick on. Red like the blood that was running through the classrooms. But it was her eyes that kept camila staring, she couldn't find words to describe them. Pretty, sweet, beautiful, weren't strong enough words they were piercing. They were a dark green but what she liked most was that she couldn't relate any of these terrors to them. She looked into this girls eyes and felt safe amongst all this horror and chaos she actually felt safe.

The girl took her hand and they both crouched down in the closet.

"I'm Lauren what's your name?"

She had a small smile on her face as she wispered.
"Camila."
"Pretty name, it suits you." Camila could feel herself blushing but she hoped Lauren couldn't tell in the dark closet.

"I'm scared Lauren I don't want to die." Her shoulders shook as another strangled sob escaped her throat.

Lauren leaned over and wrapped her arm around her. Camila wasn't sure if she was holding on to Lauren or Lauren to her. She expected they were just holding on to each other.

"I am too. Try to think about something else, do you have siblings?" Camila nodded into her shoulder.
"A little sister, Sophi." Lauren smiled
"Tell me about her."
"She's six, she's one of the greatest things in my life. She always cheers me up, she's so happy all the time and I don't know what she'd do if I-"
Camilas voice rose above a whisper in her panic.

"Shh it's okay, it's not going to happen were both getting out of here , okay?" Lauren said cutting her off.

Camila held on to her tighter she could still hear the screams echoing in her mind.

She heard Lauren mumbling a prayer to herself reaching over she grabbed her hand.

"Our father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name." They said it together as the closet door burst open.Camilla shut her eyes squeezing Lauren's hand as they continued.

"Thy kingdom come thy will be done" shots fired, camila could hear the screaming but this time it wasn't coming from her mind.

_______
_______
_______

Vote.

Comments.

Follow.