Chapter 22

"Babe, I don't think I can do this..." Becky said, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth as she stared past Freen at the unnatural abomination behind her.

Freen reached for her hand, taking it in hers and squeezing. "It's going to be okay. I mean, what are the odds of being in two plane crashes a week apart?" She asked, doing her best to console Becky.

"Ernest Hemingway and his wife were in two planes crashes two days apart." Nuch said, appearing behind the couple at the worst time.

"Cai, thank you, P'Nuch!" Freen hissed at her brother, giving him the kind of glare she usually reserved for when he drank the last of the milk back home and placed the empty bottle back in the refrigerator.

Turning her attention back to Becky, Freen found her looking green. "Hey, that was like seventy years ago! Nothing is going to happen to us. I promise na ka."

"We could take a boat?" Becky asked.

"Bebe ka, that would take weeks!" Freen laughed at the suggestion. "This will have us home in twelve hours na? You'll get to see your Phaw and sleep in your own bed-"

"Cai, but that bed on the boat was really nice." Becky grinned, her hands finding Freen's hips as she pulled her in close. Freen rolled her eyes at her, and Becky relented.

"Okay, okay ka. We'll take the death trap home." Becky's tongue darting nervously out across her lips as she stared up at the private airplane that Queenee's mom had hired to bring them back.

Mrs Mercado had flat out refused to allow Gentle Academy to have anything to do with the flight, and had chewed Queenee's ear off about suing the school for a full hour the day before.

"If it helps, Heng's up there with the pilots now asking about their emergency beacons and everything else, and it's Queenee's mom's personal jet."

Becky scrunched up her face. "Who has a personal jet?" She shook her head and glanced over at Queenee, who was being helped up the stairs to the plane by Irin, with Richie trailing behind the pair like a lost puppy.

Freen followed her gaze. "So they're like a throuple or something now, na?"

"Who knows?" Becky shrugged. "Irin seems happy, though."

"Have you heard anything from P'Charlotte? About P'Fa?"

"The surgery was a success. They're keeping her in the hospital for a couple of weeks before they even think about flying her home. Their moms are flying out there tonight."

"Now that's a flight I wouldn't want to be on." Freen laughed as she linked her arm in to Becky's and started tugging her towards the stairs to the plane.

"Cai.... me either." Becky said, her eyes wide and roaming over the plane, looking for any signs of damage. They still had no idea why their last plane fell out of the sky, and she wasn't eager for a repeat performance. "Does that look like a crack to you?"

"No." Freen said, her tone flat and leaving no room for argument. She all but dragged a reluctant Becky up the stairs and on to the private jet belonging to Mrs Mercado. It was even nicer than the one the school had hired to take them to the Inter-school games.

There was a shiny black table with two plush leather seats on either side of it, with a three seater sofa on the other side of the aisle and two sets of double seats behind it, and a mini bar at the back.

Richie, Irin, Queenee, and Nam were already sitting at the table, with Heng and Nuch sitting beside each other in two of the jump seats at the back. That left the remaining double seat for Becky and Freen.