Chapter 8

"Hey, Sunshine."

Becky was roused from her sleep as Freen gently shook her shoulder to wake her. The blonde let out a small groan, blinking and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her body ached, the muscles in her arms and legs were in cramp from sun exposure, and her stomach rumbled with hunger.

Her eyes focused on the girl leaning over her and Becky's small frown turned in to a bleary-eyed smile. "Hi, P'Freen."

"Hey. I've got something for you." Freen purred and Becky felt her stomach drop, her aches and pains all but forgotten. "Here." Freen held up a half full bottle of water to her lips; it wasn't exactly what Becky had been expecting.

"Oh. Thanks na." She sat up, wincing as she did.

Freen held the bottle up for her, urging her to take a drink. Becky did, and the moment the liquid touched the back of her tongue, she gagged, blowing out her cheeks she clenched her lips shut to stop herself from spitting in Freen's face. She swallowed with a shudder, her slender shoulders shaking with the effort.
Freen bit her lip, amusement playing in her eyes as Becky wiped at her mouth with the back of her hand, her face all scrunched up.

"Was that coconut water?" She asked. "Ugh, I can't stand coconut... but, thanks na." She quickly added, not wanting to offend the other girl.

"Ka, nong Irin told me that." Freen admitted with a sly grin. "I asked in case you were allergic or something. She told me to make you drink it and not tell you what it was."

"I hate you both..." Becky said with a huff, flopping back against her chair with an exaggerated sigh.

"No, you don't." Freen's grin stretched impossibly wide and Becky relented.

"No, I don't."

"You might not like it, but this stuff is pretty good for you. Especially when you're dehydrated." Freen held the bottle of coconut water up in front of her face until Becky finally took it from her. She took another, longer, drink, wincing as it went down.

"Good girl." Freen said, and Becky fought the shudder that ran along the length of her spine.

"Can I talk you in to eating some of this?" Freen reached on the floor beside her and picked up a half broken coconut shell full of pieces of snow white coconut flesh. Becky pulled a face, but took a piece and popped it in to her mouth.

"Only because I'm starving." She grumbled with her mouth full. Becky swallowed like she was eating broken glass. She forced a few pieces down before giving up. "God, I miss Jollibee... and crispy moo dang... and salmon... and milk tea with boba..."

"It's only been a day." Freen laughed at her.

"Cai! And I miss it. I have a problem, okay!" Becky grinned as Freen laughed again. Becky liked the sound of it.

"Is there a group for that? Like Jollibee Anonymous?" Freen asked, feigning a serious expression that made Becky crack up.

"There is." Becky nodded, fighting back a giggle. "But it's only on a Tuesday, so-"

"Nong, that is terrible!" Freen groaned with a roll of her eyes and slapped at Becky's shoulder.

Becky barely knew the other girl, yet they were joking around like old friends. There was a connection there, something Becky had first felt on the plane, when Freen had held her hand during takeoff.

Sobering up, their giggles dying down, Becky said, "Seriously na. I already feel much better. Thanks, P'Freen."

"Any time." Freen gave a casual shrug. Biting at the inside of her cheek, she added, "I can't have you dying on me. It'd be a shame to lose all that beauty and potential."