Chapter 16

Becky pressed a kiss to Freen's bare shoulder as they lay in the reclined airline seat that had been their bed for the last few days. Freen hummed as she reached for her shirt off the floor. It was almost noon, and the others were due back to camp any time now.

"Uh uh." Becky grabbed Freen's shirt out of her hands and tossed it away, just like she'd done earlier.

"We need to get dressed, bebe!" Freen laughed as the other girl peppered the side of her neck with kisses.

"We do." Becky agreed, but made no attempt to move. She wrapped her arms tight around Freen's waist, holding her close.

"Becky, seriously na, I don't want my brother walking in here and seeing me half naked." Freen said. She pushed Becky's hands away and Becky relented with an overly dramatic sigh as she rolled on her back and allowed Freen to fetch her shirt for a second time.

"Okay, when you put it that way, it's kind of a mood killer." Becky grabbed her own tank top from the floor and pulled it over her head. She knew Freen was right, but that didn't make tearing herself away from the other girl any easier.

The pair finished dressing and stepped outside the fuselage and on to the beach. Becky frowned and brought a hand up to shield her eyes as she glanced up at the rapidly darkening sky. Thick, dark rain clouds lay heavy on the horizon and a strong wind had picked up from nowhere. It whipped at the loose sand, sending it swirling around the two girls.

"Looks like a storm." Becky said, her eyes glued to the horizon.

The ocean chopped and churned as the tide grew closer with every wave that lapped at the beach. Growing up in Ranong, Becky was very familiar with extreme weather; it looked to her like a hell of a storm was on its way.

Freen wrapped her arms around herself. "I hope the others are on their way back."

"Me too." Becky said. "We should hunker down in the plane. It'll be the safest place if a storm hits."

"Ka. We should get everything off the beach. Secure everything inside, and maybe try to find something to cover that hole too." Freen agreed.

Becky stared at the mangled mess of the rear of the fuselage. It looked like the plane had been torn open with a giant can opener. It would take more than a couple of blankets to secure it.

Becky nodded anyway. "We'll find something."

The others all made it back to camp within the hour, with the exception of Irin and Queenee. The rain had come by then, joining the wind in lashing against the side of the plane while Becky and Freen struggled to secure the emergency raft in place over the gaping hole at the back of the plane.

They'd found it in one of of the overhead compartments. It tried to inflate the moment they pulled it out, but Becky put a stop to that with her knife. She added a few more holes in each side so she could fasten it to the wreck of the plane, while Freen raided everyone's suitcases and amassed a small collection of shoelaces to tie the raft in place. The end result was far from perfect, but it would protect the group from the elements.

"Looking good." Heng said as he and Richie arrived back at camp. Both boys were carrying large metal neon orange boxes. Becky held the unfastened end of the raft up for them so they could slip straight inside with their heavy loads.

"Is that the black box?" Becky asked once they were all inside and the boys placed the metal boxes on the floor beside the suitcases.

"Kub!" Heng said.

Nuch frowned. "Who knew black boxes were actually orange?"

"Everyone knows that." Charlotte said, her tone tense. Irin still wasn't back, and — with the weather worsening outside — Charlotte was worried about her.