Chapter 15

Charlotte stepped through the gaping hole in the front section of the private jet buried nose first in the sand. The mangled wreck had been home for the last four days and Charlotte was sick of the sight of it.

She spotted Engfa up front, pulling on a clean shirt, and smiled to herself. Charlotte would never grow tired of the sight of her girlfriend. She walked up to her, wrapping her arms around the smaller girl's waist as she hugged her from behind, her chin coming to rest on Engfa's shoulder. "Hey."

"Hey." Engfa turned her head and pressed a kiss to Charlotte's cheek. "What did nong Irin want?"

Irin had dragged Charlotte out of the fuselage ten minutes ago with the cryptic announcement that they needed to 'talk'.

"There's something I need to tell you."

Engfa's lips curled up in a smirk as she turned to face Charlotte, draping her arms around her neck. "Are we breaking up again?" She teased.

The start of their relationship had been a turbulent affair. A strong physical attraction to one another hadn't been enough to overcome a lifetime of rivalry, and they'd ended things more times than either of them could count.

"Nothing like that." Charlotte bit her lip as she gave a shake of her head. "Irin told Becky-"

"About us?" Engfa took a step back, her expression darkening. "You said she wouldn't tell!"

"Becky already knew. Apparently she caught us in the dorm room a bunch of times."

"Oh..." Engfa deflated, some of the tension easing from her shoulders. She tilted her chin back defiantly as she recovered, glaring up at the much taller girl. "Well, I hope your friends can keep a damn secret!"

"I'm glad they know." Charlotte said, catching the other girl off guard for a second time.

Engfa's frown deepened. She took a step back, as if to distance herself from what Charlotte was suggesting. "What are you saying?"

"I'm tired of hiding this, Fa." Charlotte reached out and took her girlfriend's hands in her own. "I love you, and I don't care what other people think about that!"

"That's easy to say when we're out here in the ass end of nowhere!" Engfa shook her head furiously. "Our parents-"

"Don't get a say in this!" Charlotte held firm. She meant every word she said. Frustration at the secrecy surrounding their relationship had been growing for a long time, and Charlotte was at her breaking point.

"If we survive this, then we can survive anything... including our parents. We're stronger together, babe, and I'm sick and tired of hiding what we have."

"Okay." Engfa relented, taking a step towards her girlfriend. "Okay. I trust you na... We'll go public."

"Really?" Charlotte broke out in a smile that lit up her whole face, and Engfa knew she'd made the right call.

"Really."

Right at that moment, as the two girls held hands and leaned in to kiss, Nam walked in on them. Charlotte dropped Engfa's hands and stepped back out of habit.

"Oh, sorry phi phi..." Nam apologized, her eyes fixed on the floor as she offered them a sheepish smile.

For the first time, Charlotte wondered just how many times they'd been caught out back at school. Were they as careful as they thought they were?

"We're dating." Engfa said, breaking the tension in the room in the bluntest way possible. Charlotte felt her cheeks growing hot as Nam's mouth hung open and her eyebrows shot up to the roof.