𝟎𝟏𝟕: 𝐋𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐆𝐨 𝐎𝐫 𝐍𝐨𝐭?

"Only hate the road when you're missing home,
only know you love her when you let her go."

[POV: Steven]

[POV: Steven]

Flashback.

AS I STOOD AMONG THE SOMBER CROWD, the weight of grief pressing down on my shoulders, my heart felt heavy. The sight of Nova, tears streaming down her face as she bid farewell to her mother, evoked a storm of emotions within me. The pain of losing someone so dear, combined with the increasingly strained nature of our relationship, had administered a crushing blow, leaving me feeling lost and broken.

The funeral had become the backdrop for our final unraveling, a bittersweet symphony of love and loss, engulfing us in a sea of conflicting emotions. Once we got back to the beach house and the whole memorial cookout for Susannah happened, I noticed how different she was acting, way more different.

She had fought with both Conrad and Belly today, she didn't say why though. I was feeling extremely worried, worried to the point I started to feel a headache.

The weight of our shared sorrow bore down on us, bridging the chasm that had grown between us. In that moment, I realized how deeply we had drifted apart, how our love had become overshadowed by grief and unchecked emotions.

As the ceremony came to an end, I approached Nova, my voice trembling with a mix of regret and sorrow.

Steven: "Nova, I...I think we need to talk." -I managed to stutter out, my heart aching at the thought of the question I didn't want to ask.

She turned to face me, her eyes filled with a blend of grief and confusion, marring the beauty that once shone so brightly within her. Her voice, barely above a whisper, trembled as she responded.

Nova: "What is it, Steven?"

Steven: "Are we going to be okay?"

Nova's voice quivered as she spoke, her words punctuating the solemnity of the backyard of the beach house.

Nova: "Steven, I wanted to have this conversation but I just couldn't find the right time to talk." -she said, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. The weight of grief hung heavy in the air, amplifying the gravity of her words.

As we stood there, surrounded by the echoes of birds chirping, I felt a knot form in the pit of my stomach. The despair of losing Susannah was already a burden, and now the weight of uncertainty threatened to drown me.

Steven: "Okay, talk to me...what is it, beautiful?"-I managed to say, my voice tinged with a mixture of sadness and confusion.

Her eyes met mine, filled with a mixture of sadness and determination.