Prequel: Hard Knocks and Soft Locks

Third Person

Zane and Vylad were currently sitting in their joint room as Garroth burst through the door with a wide and joyful smile on his face.

"It's Christmas! Come on little bros! Presents and cookies!" Garroth laughed as his 10 and 11 year old brothers smiled back at him.

"Presents/Santa!" They both shouted in unison as they pushed past the preteen.

"Wait for me!" Garroth called out as they sat near the fireplace while Zianna walked out with a tray filled with hot chocolate, whip cream and one cup of warm soy milk.

"Pea and Zuzu get the hot chocolate. Sorry Garbear, but you're on your modeling diet." Zianna patronized the blonde as he pouted.

"I wanna try sweets! It's not fair!" He pouted as she pinched his slightly tanned cheeks. "Being vegetarian is nasty!"

"But you wanna remain big and strong, right? So, eat your veggies and avoid hormone infested meat." Zianna stuck her tongue out as he pulled it. "Hey!"

"Now who wants to watch movies and wait for Daddy to come home? We can watch the Lion King!" She squeaked as Zane and Vylad grabbed a blanket and sat on the couch with their hot chocolates. "We'll open our presents tonight."

~•~•~•~•

After three hours of watching the heart-wrenching lion based story and its sequels, Garte saunters into the house to find his wife and kids lightly snoring on the couch.

Chuckling to himself, he lightly taps Zianna snoring on the couch with drool flowing down her cheek. "Hun, wake up. We have presents to open."

"Huh? What? When did you get home, babe?" Zianna asked as her children snuggled closer to her.

"About five minutes ago. Don't worry, it's still Christmas. The maid will be over to help out with the cleaning tomorrow as well." He spoke as he took off his heavy coat and boots. "Wake up, kids."

"Dad?" Garroth mumbled as the older blond smiled down at him. "W-what's going on?"

"Everyone up! Time to see what we got you!"Garte bellowed causing all of them to fall off the couch, startled.

"Who's first?" Zianna playfully smiled as Zane's eyes gleamed up at her in eagerness. "Of course, the birthday boy. How can I forget?"

With a smile on his face, Zianna handed him his first gift which was from his grandmother. "Some journals? What type of gift is this?"

"Manners Zane!" Zianna playfully snapped. "Read the note she left you."

"Spend all your time doing the things that matter most. Love Nana Monty!" Zane cheered as he hugged one of the books close to his chest. "She always gives me these meaningful gifts! I love Nana!"

"She wants us to visit her soon. Maybe in the summer." Garte spoke as Zianna rolled her eyes. "What?"

"You know that your mother doesn't like me. The woman never speaks to me unless it's about you." Zianna laughed as Garte kissed her cheek.

"She loves you, ok? She just doesn't want to admit that she lost her son to such a wonder filled woman." He genuinely speaks as she caressed his cheek. "I know I do."

"Ew! Nasty!" The three kids groaned as Vylad picked up his gift.

"A camera from Uncle Ryan!" He cheered as he read the card. "For my ambitious little dragon. Take lots of pictures to capture the good and the bad times. That's deep, I know."

Hearing some laughter, Vylad smiled as Garte reads the card again. "Your brother is hilarious, Anna."

"Yay! My turn!" Garroth cheered as Zianna handed him the last gift that sat underneath the tree. "Huh?"

"What's wrong Garbear?" Zianna asked as he unwrapped the box to find a note and a music box.

"It's a music box from an unknown person..." He answered her as he picked up the small note. "Don't let the darkness win. Speak up."

Opening the box, he saw a small angel on a golden chain. Picking up the chain, he inserted it into the center of the box and turned the handle on the side of the box.

A soft tune played from the box as a smile stretched across the little blond's face. "I love it."

~•~•~•~•

Garroth

It was New Years Eve. Mommy was rushing around the house as Madam Rylie followed her every move.

"Is the ticket booked?" Mommy asked as the red haired assistant nodded. "Are my bags packed? Where is Jordan? Watch my kids!"

Witnessing her stress out, I walked over to her with a bright smile on my face. "Where are you going Mommy?"

"Oh, Garbear! Mommy has to go on a trip for a week. Two weeks maximum. I'll be in Asia on an elephant reserve. I'll make sure to bring you back some souvenirs." She promised me with a smile.

"Mistress Ro'Meave, your flight will be ready in twenty minutes." Madam Rylie spoke as her green eyes flickered over to me. "I'll watch over your kids until my shift is over."

"Thank you, Rylie!" Mommy nodded before grabbing her heavy coat and scarf. "Garroth! I'll be back in a week. Your father should be home in an hour, so please watch over your brothers. Your curfew is at 8:30 pm. I love you!"

"Alright Mum. Promise that we'll be ok. See ya!" I eagerly dismissed her as she walked out the house as Rylie walked back to her office.

"Garroth? Did Mommy leave?"A small voice asked as Vylad and Zane descended the stairs.

"Yeah. Dad should be home in an hour, it's 8:30. So, at 9 we need to get ready for bed." I directed as Zane nodded.

Does any of this seem familiar to you?

Read the Prologue of A Hard Knock Life to continue this chapter. Only then will you understand the hell, drama and confusion these young men had to endure.

~•~•~•~•

How'd you like?

~Shadow Out!🌑