chapter eighteen.

It had been three days since I had landed back in the states

It had been three days since I had landed back in the states. Three days since I had seen or spoken with Harry, with no attempt on his end to reach out. I hated the feeling in my stomach knowing he hadn't. It made me feel small, made me doubt everything I had even slightly started to feel. I felt like I had to remind myself that overall, he was paying for my company and freedom and maybe that's all this was, paid friendship, paid company.

I stared out the car window as the Uber drove me to Harry's house. Suddenly wishing that I had waited one more day to calm my nerves before coming back; but unfortunately I couldn't without my mother growing suspicious. When we pulled up to his house, I thanked the Uber driving, getting my things out and heading up the door. As I reached the front door, James opened the door with a giant smile on his face.

"Ms. Vera, I've missed you. Let me help you, are you hungry ma'am?" He said bending down to pick up my bags as we walked in.

"No, I'm fine for now, I missed you too, James," I smiled looking around the house, "Uhm, is Harry home?"

James stayed silent, placing my bags on the couch, "What about something to drink?"

"No. I'm fine, James, but....Harry?" I asked again, watching him roll his shoulder back and clear his throat.

"He's been in and out ma'am. I believe he'll be coming home soon. Told me to have dinner prepared for tonight. Why don't you go up to your room and relax, get ready. I'll bring your bags up in just a moment."

I narrowed my eyes at him, taking in his composure and nodding slowly, "Okay. Just let me know when dinner is ready."

I smiled, turning and heading up the stairs to my room. I laid down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, closing my eyes and allowing myself to doze off.

I woke up to the sound of laughter coming from downstairs, but what made my heart clench was that the laughter clearly came from a woman. I pushed myself up in bed into a seated position, rubbing my eyes trying to shake off the sleep, wondering if I had just imagined it all.

Then it came again, the clear giggle of a female, followed by the laugh that normally warmed my heart, by now made me feel sick.

Harry's.

I fixed myself up as best as I could, before opening the door and heading downstairs, hearing the chatter of Harry and the mystery woman. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, Harry sat on the couch, a long slender brunette was thrown over his lap, her finger playing through his hair.

I cleared my throat, both of them looking over at me, finally revealing the woman to be Kendall Jenner. Harry's eyes were strong on me, my body freezing at his gaze, attempting to maintain my composure.

"Vera! You're back. I had no idea," he said, his tongue running along the inside of his cheek.

"Sorry, I should have asked if today was a good day to come back, um, I'll just head ba—..."