chapter nine

"Hi Al

"Hi Al." I smiled as I reached the bookstore counter. Al was in his early sixties, working in this bookstore since he was a teen. It had been in his family since his grandfather and soon it would be his sons.

"Ah, I was wondering where the other half was. He's working in the stacks with some blondie." He said and I tilted my head.

"Other half? Oh! Tony's here?" I said leaning back a bit to see if I spotted him.

"Yes, I figured you were meeting up with him." He said and I looked back at him shaking my head.

"Nope. Actually, have my own agenda today. Need to fill up my boss' bookcases. So I'm going to buy out your entire store." I wiggled my eyebrows and he chuckled.

"You already keep me in business, so this will pay for a nice retirement vacation." He smiled and I chuckled.

"Is there a place I can pile the books?"

He looked around and pointed at a counter with his head, reaching for a packet of pink post its, "There is fine, but mark them with the post its so I don't sell them."

I nodded taking the post its from him and smiling, "Perfect. I'm going to go say hi to Tony and then start."

He waved me off and I made my way towards the stacks, suddenly realizing that Al mentioned Tony was here with someone. As I approached the stacks in the back, I could see a clear view of Tony and a blonde girl. They had their laptops open, laughing as they worked.

I couldn't help but swallow the ever building jealousy I felt in my chest. I knew it wasn't right. I knew I wasn't allowed to feel this way, but I couldn't help it. I waited until they were both looking down at their work, to make my way over. I wrapped my hand softly around his eyes and he straightened up.

The blonde girl peeked up and raised a small eyebrow at me, to which I gave a soft smile.

"V, is that you?" He said and I chuckled a bit.

"How'd you know? I didn't even speak." I said uncovering his eyes and he turned to look at me.

"I think I've bought you that perfume enough times to know it when I smell it." He smiled a bit and I shrugged. My Vicktor Rolf Flower Bomb perfume was all I ever wore, and he gifted it to me every birthday. I moved my eyes in the direction of the girl and his widened a bit, "Oh right, Vera this is Casey. Her and I got partnered up for our philosophy final, so we've just been working here most afternoons before closing."

"Oh, nice to meet you! That's great. Al's is always the best." I smiled at her, that jealousy creeping back, knowing he was sharing our place with another girl.

"Nice to meet you too. Al asks about you every single time we come in here." She gave what felt like a fake smile.

As he should.