chapter eleven

I woke up the next morning, not surprised that Harry wasn't home

I woke up the next morning, not surprised that Harry wasn't home. After last night, I didn't know what today would be like, but Harry being home felt like the appropriate way to start the day. I felt slightly stupid, but I didn't regret it. I had pondered over it enough to know I didn't. I walked into the kitchen and James stood at the coffee bar, flipping through a newspaper and drinking his tea.

"Morning J." I smiled and he turned to me chuckling.

"Morning Miss Vera. Would you like some tea?" He asked and I scrunched my nose shaking my head.

"No, my best friend is dropping off a matcha for me before he goes to class." I smiled and he nodded. I opened the fridge and looked inside, trying to figure what to eat when I got a sudden idea.

"James, do you know how to make crepes?" I said, turning to him and he nodded.

"Yes, I've made them a few times."

"Can you teach me? Do we have what we need?" I said, feeling hopeful and he nodded.

"Yes. And we can put Nutella and bananas inside. That's Harry's favorite combination. We can have it waiting for him when he gets home."

"Oh, he won't be out all day?" I said, pulling out the strawberries from the fridge. Relief spilled over me, my shoulders relaxing a bit.

"No ma'am, he just went out for a run. He does most mornings." He smiled, folding up his newspaper.

I nodded, "Oh I, just thought,..nevermind. What do I need to pull out?"

I listened as James listed off the ingredients we would need and I began helping him pull them out. We pulled out the appropriate pans and placed them on the stove, then began making the batter. As we did, my phone began ringing and I looked down, my mom.

I turned to James and put my finger over my lips to let him know to not say anything and he nodded. I took a deep breath before answering.

"Hi ma." I said, leaning on the kitchen counter.

"Not even a call to say thank you?" She said and I rolled my eyes a bit.

"Ma, I barely found out, didn't even give me time to." I said, continuing to mix the batter as I spoke.

"Well, you're welcome anyways. I heard he's taking you shopping. All the other girls are jealous of ya." She said and I took a deep breath.

"You told them?" I said, placing the batter to the side and helping James cut up more bananas.

"I told them I was putting something up for trial. Imagine if this goes well? It could be a thing we do."

I bit my lip and shook my head, looking down at my scarred hand, "I don't know ma. That feels too risky to me. I told you, Harry....he's different, most of them....they aren't like him."