chapter four

My mom letting me sleep in felt like both a blessing but also a terrifying curse

My mom letting me sleep in felt like both a blessing but also a terrifying curse. Mostly because I couldn't remember how I got home last night.

I groaned, turning my face into my pillow while I reached for my phone. I flipped it up and saw multiple texts and missed calls from Tony.

"Shit." I said, swiping to call him back before digging my face back in the pillow.

"Vera, what the fuck!" He answered and I quickly lowered the volume.

"Shhh, hungover."

"You had me worried sick." He said, he was mad, and that didn't happen often.

"I'm sorry. I drank a lot last night, and I was high. I don't remember when I blacked out."

I remembered a lot of last night, I just don't know what happened after he left me there. I just remember his good bye.

Tomorrow?

"I thought you weren't supposed to do any of that? Isn't that how you got caught up and hurt the last time?" He said sternly over the phone.

"That was different, Anthony. He was forcing me. I'm not being forced. I chose to. This is different." I said, suddenly regretting calling him now.

"Vera, you can't be careless either way," I heard him take a deep breath, as if calming himself, "What did your mom say?"

"She hasn't come to wake me up, so I'm pretty sure she's going to murder me once she does." I said, turning in bed and laying on my back, "I'm really sorry I didn't text you when I got home. I know it's our deal."

"It's fine. Just, please, be careful. So he's still...just talking with you." He said, careful with his words.

"Yeah." I lied, my legs squeezing slightly together at the thought of his lips on mine.

"Okay, well, just three more days."

"Mhm," I said taking a deep breath, "Well, I think I'm going to go face my demons now. I need water so, have to suck it up."

"Okay. Love you. Good luck." He said.

I hated the "L" word.

"Mmm, me too, thanks." I said and he chuckled a bit, knowing I hated it as well.

I pushed myself off my bed, my head instantly feeling like a giant cinder block I had to carry around. I rubbed the palm of my hands into my eyes softly, trying to get my contacts to stop blurring.

"Oh fuck it." I said, walking over to my bathroom and taking them off, popping on my glasses. I yawned and finally got a good look at myself in the mirror. I looked....miserable, but what really caught my attention was the purple marks on my shoulder. His bite marks bruising my skin. I reached up and ran my finger softly over them.