chapter three

"Glinda, I swear these get better every time I have them

"Glinda, I swear these get better every time I have them." I smiled at Tony's mom. I loved spending my Sunday mornings in their Los Feliz home. It was warm, homey and it just felt so safe.

"Such a kiss ass," Tony said, kicking me softly under the table for four and I glared at him.

"I'm not! It's the truth. You're just mad she makes them special for me." I said taking another bite, reaching over and adding more pickled onions to them.

"Well, I appreciate the compliment, mija." She said, walking over and kissing the top of my head before sitting down with her cup of coffee.

"So are you staying over and watching the Grammy's with us? You haven't done that in a while now. We still make those prediction cards you love." She smiled before sipping her coffee.

"Uh, no. I'm sorry. I work. My boss, gets busy during award season, so,....yeah." I pressed my lips into a smile looking down and moving my food around.

Glinda thought I worked for a big name producer as his assistant, and I hated lying to her. She's just one of those people you want to be so kind too, honest with.

I felt as Tony trapped my leg in between both of his and smiled at me, "How about you still fill out the card, and I'll let you know how many you got right?"

I bit my lip and nodded, "I like that idea."

He smiled at me nodding, letting go of my leg and we sat quietly finishing our food. When we finished, I helped Glinda clean up while Tony went to print out the prediction cards for us.

"So how's you're mom, mija?" She said, handing me dishes to put away.

"She's good. Busy, selling all those...whatever she sells, I can't keep up." I said turning away and placing the dishes in the cabinets.

Glinda laughed and raised her eyebrows, "I say the same thing. Known her my whole life basically, yet no idea what she does. Can you do me favor though? Thank her for the latest check, please? She hasn't answered my calls this week."

I nodded and smiled, "Of course."

Glinda and my mom had been friends since they were in diapers. Both got married, had kids and were left by their husbands. My mom, always took care of Glinda and Tony. She paid their rent every month without question.

I guess that's why I couldn't hate my mom, because deep down she was good.

"I got them and I have to take you home soon, so let's get to it." Tony said, bringing the cards and pens.

His mom and I nodded, hovering over their small breakfast nook, filling out who we thought would win everything tonight. Each of us added a five dollar bill to a ziplock bag as our bet to see who guessed the most right.

We pulled up in front of my house and I closed my eyes, leaning my head back against the car seat.