chapter seventeen

I woke up the next morning, feeling blissful, my heart full

I woke up the next morning, feeling blissful, my heart full. I stretched along Harry's bed, turning to face him, but he wasn't there. I sat up a bit, looking around the room, noticing his small wardrobe was empty, his bags missing. I swallowed, feeling an eerie feeling flow over me. I looked down at the bed, seeing a folded note on his pillow. I sat up completely, wrapping myself in the sheet and grabbing the note, and opening it.

Vera,

I didn't want to wake you. I had to head back to the states early. I spoke with your mother, and she has let me pay for extra time. Unfortunately you must go home for the next few days, but your home, my home, is waiting for you whenever you are ready.

H.S.

I smiled a bit, still not able to shake the feeling that something was off. Something just felt wrong. I licked my lips, pushing off the bed and grabbing my things, deciding to move back to my room. I had just a couple hours before I needed to head to the airport and with my track record of being late, I needed to leave sooner.

The flight back felt dreadful, the uneasy feeling in my stomach only growing stronger the closer we got to home. I couldn't seem to sort out my feelings on whether I was nervous about Harry leaving early or knowing that I would have to face Tony soon. I was on my third drink, when a text came in, my eyes dropping down to the screen. Anthony's name stared back at me, my heart dropping into my stomach as I picked up my phone and I looked it.

A: What time do you get in?

V: In about three hours.

A: We should probably talk before lunch tomorrow, need a ride home?

V: I'm still airport pick up worthy?

A: Just text me when you land, see you soon.

I swallowed, knowing this was more for his mom than me, or us. He didn't want her lunch to be awkward. I downed my drink, looking for the stewardess, ordering another which I was informed would be my cut off. I nodded, slightly embarrassed, but knowing it was probably for the best.

I tried to read the rest of the flight, skimming over the same page for what felt like eternity before the overhead announcement let us know we would be descending into LAX. I text Anthony once the plane touched down, giving him time to head over to my terminal. Customs dragged on, quickly making me realize that this entire day was going to drag on. It was going to be long and uncomfortable; I hated the very thought.

Once I had my luggage, I made my way outside, looking down at my phone then back up, scanning the cars and people for Anthony. A sharp whistle made my head shoot to my right, Tony's hand waving at me, and I couldn't help but smile. His handsome structure, his soft smile, he felt like home. I took a deep breath quickly making my way over, watching as he came around to the back of the car, grabbing my bag as I approached and loading it into the trunk.