chapter sixteen

AN: I didn't edit anything LOL, enjoy!

I sat at the dean's desk, picking nervously at my nail beds as I watched him tapping away on his computer

I sat at the dean's desk, picking nervously at my nail beds as I watched him tapping away on his computer. He took a deep inhale, before looking over at me and smiling softly, "Miss Greco, seems like you never finished your application, though I do see progress was made on it. In fact, we even received a paper copy, missing some requirements; but as we only accept online applications, it was just added to your file."

He reached into the drawer to his left, pulling out a thin brown file, on the tab "V. Greco" clear as day. I furrowed my eyebrows, deeply confused on how that ever got to him. I licked my lips, bringing my eyes back to him, "I do not mean to be rude, at all. I just...I never submitted a paper application, ever. I had no intentions on finishing my online app...so...forgive me, I'm just confused."

"Well, Miss Greco, it was accompanied by a letter, you see, a Mr. Anthony Paz had a deep belief that you should be accepted to our establishment, in fact he swore his life on it," the dean smiled, handing me a piece of paper with typing filling almost the entirety. My eyes began taking in the writing before me, my stomach twisting into knots that travel up my throat as I did.

To Who It May Concern,

I have never met anyone in my life like Vera Greco and I can say with the upmost certainty that you have not either. She is bright, both in physical appearance and in intelligence. She is witty, both in her humor and in her ability to solve even the smallest of problems. She is well read and well written, and though I understand that half the people applying to Oxford also have this under their belt, none are Vera, and none will ever compare. She has struggled, like most, but her story feels different, and though it is not mine to share, her struggle is that her life has never truly been her own. Her life has always belonged to her mother, so much so that I know you will never see a completed status on her online application. You will never see her beautifully written self assessment that is the purest she has ever let herself be.

All I truly have is my word, my heart and my belief that Vera Greco belongs at Oxford. I am willing to swear it on my life."

I brought my hand to wipe at the tears that wouldn't stop falling, as feelings of pain and guilt took over every inch of me.  Anthony truly was my best friend, my right hand, my everything. He was the one person that would never let me down, even in his hurtful words, I knew deep down, our love for each other wouldn't disappear. I felt foolish having let myself get so lost in Harry, I ignored the one person who dropped his life at my beck and call.

Sniffling, I looked up at the dean, pressing my lips into a tight smile, "I guess a pity letter isn't enough reasoning to let someone in?"

He chuckled as I attempted to hand back the letter, a soft shake from his head, "Unfortunately, Vera, if I may. We can't take just take someone's word...when the person they are vouching for did not have it in themselves to press submit. How much could this mystery woman change Oxford, if she didn't have the will to change her destiny?"