chapter five

Vera POV

I moved slowly through the record store, flipping  through each stack. I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but I wanted something new to play. Maybe even something I hadn't heard before. I was really in my head today, last night on a constant loop.

"Vera?" I heard Tony say, and when I peeked up at him, I knew he had been saying my name for a while now.

"Sorry. I did that thing again, didn't I?" I sighed softly, biting my lip and beginning to braid a small piece of my hair.

"Where are you today, V?" He said, as he flipped through the records next to where I was.

"It's....complicated. I'm sorry, I'm here. Brain is off, umm, did you find anything so far?" I said, leaning against the table, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"Uh, I found this pretty Fleetwood Mac. I figured you'd want it. It's not like the one I got you for your birthday, but the green is nice." He said, carefully pulling out the olive green vinyl from its sleeve.

"That is nice, what song is on it?" I said, reaching for it as he handed it to me.

"Landslide. Your favorite." He smiled big, and I bit my lip.

"You know, I'm starting to think that every time we come here, you forget to look at things for yourself." I slipped the vinyl back in its sleeve and he shrugged.

"I did, I just can never find what I want."

I raised an eyebrow, "Really? Because that third basket over there is literally filled with Depeche Mode singles that I know for a fact you don't have. Also the Lana record you're always trying to steal from me is at the beginning of that basket you're looking at."

I titled my head at him, matter of factly and he pinched the bridge of his nose like he always did when he was thinking, "Well....I....was testing you, to see if you cared enough to notice and tell me these things."

"Right." I said raising both eyebrows, shaking my head. I turned back to the baskets, moving a couple forward when a still sealed Stevie Nicks vinyl caught my attention. I pulled it out, running my fingers on it and flipping it over to read the tracks.

"Wow, that's brand new, that never happens in here." I heard Tony say. I looked at him and nodded.

"Yeah I might get it." I smiled small and his eyes widened.

"You? And Stevie? Since when?" He said, confusion on his face.

"I just, I dunno. Harry had talked about her a couple—who's Harry?" He interrupted me and my eyes grew slightly wide. I shook my head and quickly turned to walk away.

"Nobody, nevermind." I said as I wrapped around to a different area of the store.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Tony and his freakishly long legs caught up to me quickly, "That's your current isn't it? Harry Styles?"

"Shhhh." I said, looking around, "Look can we talk about this in the car. Please. Let's just pay."

We grabbed any last minute vinyls and paid, making our way into the car. We got in and Tony turned to me.

"Harry Styles? Mister playboy just wants to talk. You expect me to believe that?" He said and I looked over at him, careful with my face movements. If anyone could read me and my lies, it was Tony.

"Yes. I do actually, because that's all he wants. And for your information he has been in a relationship for a while now, so." I said, narrowing my eyes at him. He closed his eyes and shook his head.