chapter twelve

I walked around the school supply section at Target, pinching my lip as I looked over the possible different options of notebooks

I walked around the school supply section at Target, pinching my lip as I looked over the possible different options of notebooks. I wanted to get something that was different for New York and London. So that whatever I started writing in each place felt like it had its own personality.

I picked out a purple one for New York, a flower pattern all over it in a slightly darker shade of purple. I peeked back up and decided the brown leather wrapped one would be for London. It felt perfect for the old time feel of Oxford, and I as I reached for it another hand did too.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You can—no it's fine, you reached for it first." I heard the voice say. When I turned to look, it was Anthony's best guy friend from high school football, Brett.

"No way, Greco, I haven't seen you since senior prom!" He said and my eyes went wide, laughing slightly.

"Brett, I know. How have you been?" I smiled, quickly grabbing the notebook while he was distracted.

"Good, good. Playing football at SC now. I'm surprised you aren't still glued to Anthony's hip." He wiggled his eyebrows and I rolled my eyes.

"To be fair, I think he was glue to mine, but uh, we both actually still see each other a lot. I've actually been to campus quite a few time with him." I smiled.

"Too bad I haven't ran into you! You gotta let me know the next time you're there. We can grab a bite the three of us. Or just us two, that works too." He winked playfully and I couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"Uh, sure, I'll message you on IG or something." I smiled, hugging the notebooks I had picked out close to my chest.

"Sounds good! Hey, do you know if Anthony is still seeing that blonde?"

"I'm sorry...Tony? Seeing someone?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, since the start of this semester, he was at a Kappa Delta party with me, and met some girl. They went to her formal, and I know they messed around. I saw them walking around campus from time to time, but I just wondered."

"Oh, umm, you know, Tony and I like to keep our dating lives private. So...yeah. No idea." I lied, my mind going back to the girl at the bookstore. I hated the jealousy coursing through me. It wasn't fair to feel it. I had no right. I had to keep reminding myself that.

"Well, if he is, give him a high five for me, a total babe. And don't forget, next time you're on campus, hit me up." He smirked, grabbing a random notebook, "Alright, bye Vera!"

"Bye." I smiled small, waving him off. I took a deep breath shaking my head before turning and grabbing a pack of my favorite black pens, heading out.

I stood outside, getting ready to order my Uber when Harry began calling me. I slid the button over answering.

"Hey." I said, my tone clearly bothered, I couldn't shake the feeling of knowing Tony had been lying to me.

"Hey,...you okay?" He said, and I bit my lip. I hated when people asked that, it was like the automatic producer of tears.