How do you know that?

Theo's POV:

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around the room, everyone was sitting around me and whispering to each other. Mason sat in a chair on my left and stared down at his hands, he looked absolutely terrible. Red, puffy eyes, wild hair, dry cracked lips. My Dad was whispering to him but he looked like he wasn't hearing a single thing. No one noticed I was awake yet. I took time to take stock of my body. My right arm was strapped down to my chest, my hand across my waist and tucked under some sort of fabric band. My chest was hurting but for having surgery it wasn't overly painful, meaning I was being given some sort of painkiller. My mouth was extremely dry and I tried to swallow, ending in a painful cough. Talking ceased as Mason launched to his feet and came over grabbing my left hand gently.

"Hey, hey. I'm here." He whispered.

"W-water?"

A cup of water appeared on the other side, a straw in it so I wouldn't have to sit up. I took a few sips until my mouth felt better before pulling away. I turned back to Mason. He looked even more distraught.

"C'mere." I whispered, pulling his hand up to rest on my left collarbone.

He moved closer to me but still wasn't where I wanted him. I was upset he wasn't here earlier but by the looks of it he had gone through the ringer for something. My lip trembled as I took in the sight of him. I released his hand and brought mine up to his neck.

"M'n'tmad." I mumbled.

I pulled on him weakly, not really having the strength to get him closer but he moved closer leaning down until his forehead touched mine. He closed his eyes and took in a shaky breath. I eyed him for a second before I cautiously moved my hand and let it settle over his scent gland. The tension left his body and a few tears leaked out.

"I'm okay. What's wrong?"

"I...It's my mom. And I'm so sorry I wasn't here."

"I'm not mad. You were scared. What happened?"

"I tried... I tried to call her. Let her know what was happening... She's always had a knack for talking me off the ledge. Her best friend answered the phone. When you killed Alpha Lang... his son attacked her."

Fear struck me. It wasn't because of me killing Alpha Lang... sure that could have played a part in it but that was almost a week ago. Yesterday I had sent transfer papers to get her here for him. I already had a house set up for her. This was my fault.

I swallowed. "Is she?"

"She's alive. Your Dad sent people to get her. I haven't seen her yet. Margo just met them to bring her in and check on her about 15 minutes ago. I didn't want to leave you again."

"Mase... Baby... I sent transfer papers for her yesterday. I was trying to cheer you up. This is my fault. You should go see her."

He shook his head. "She told your Dad I wasn't allowed to leave your side. When she's cleared she is planning on coming here. It's not your fault. You did your job and prevented a truly awful man from gaining more power and from taking me."

Margo coming into the room drew my attention.

"Good, you're awake. How are you feeling?"

I released Mason's neck and when he went to move away I took his hand again.

"Okay, groggy. Can you take this thing off my arm? It's making me hot."

"Sorry, no can do. It's staying on so you don't overdo it again. You, my dear, are on strict bed rest until you are fully healed."