Challenge

Theo's POV:

It's been almost two weeks since Mason's claimed me. Besides what he did to me in the shower that day neither of us had really touched each other. Hell we barely spoke. Which is mainly my fault. I spend 90% of my time in my office or running training to avoid him. I was embarrassed over what I did to him and for giving in so easily. Each night when I return to my room he's there and already sleeping and throughout the time he's been here he's been sleeping wearing less and less clothes. Going from pajamas, to just pajama pants, to shorts, to now where he only sleeps in his tight boxer briefs.

His underwear really doesn't leave much to the imagination and it's very tempting to want to initiate more. Even with talking to Tara over video chat lately, I can't seem to break past that barrier though. I know my heat will end up happening sooner than later and I will have to figure something out. At the moment I was due at the intermediate training to supervise the warrior tests. I clicked save on the spreadsheet I was working on and looked up as a knock sounded right before my office door opened. My Dads walked in and shut the door behind them.

"Hey. We have a problem." My father said.

My brow furrowed. "What's wrong?"

"Someone's here to challenge you." My Dad answered.

I nodded. "And so it begins." I mumbled.

"It's another Alpha."

I paused. "Who?"

"Alpha Lang."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I stood up and went to leave the room.

"He's not just challenging you for your position." My Dad rushed out.

Realization dawned on me. "Where's Mason?"

"He's in the box seat at the stadium. Once the challenge for position and Mate is issued we have no choice." My father answered.

I nodded. "Okay."

"Theo..." My Dad's voice shook.

"I know." I nodded at him before I left the room.

Alpha Lang was 45 and was built like a tank. He had a reputation for winning every challenge that has ever been issued against him or by him. I have only had two challenges against me but none of them.... None of them has ever been as important as this one. I don't care about losing the pack as much as I care about sentencing my 21 year old mate to the life of forced mating to a 45 year old man who he had seen as a father figure growing up. I could only imagine how Mason must be feeling right now. I sprinted to the challenge arena where I could hear my pack's frantic talking. I stopped just outside where my Dads caught up to me.

"We will go sit with Mason. Be careful."

I slipped my Alpha mask on. "If he wants my mate he will have to kill me."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"Don't let him anywhere near him."

"Don't let him kill you."

"I'll try my best."

They nodded before they took off to keep Mason company as he possibly has to watch me fight to my death. I took my five deep breaths before I went into the Arena. The second I stepped onto the field all talking ceased. My eyes locked on Mason who looked like he had been crying and running his hands through his hair. I forced myself not to react and turned my attention to Alpha Lang.

"Ah, There you are, Alpha Arson." He mocked.

The challenge arena had been bewitched to make anything we say on the field to sound out across the arena as if wearing microphones. I didn't say anything and just took my place.