FORTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. a monster, unhindered !

 a monster, unhindered !

storybrooke maine .

IN THE BLEAK AND UNEASY DARKNESS THAT SURROUNDED THEM, Winnie had no understanding of exactly how much time had passed when she came to, stifling a groan at the painful pounding that rattled her skull. With no sun, no stars, only the unforgiving stone of the tunnel above her head, she couldn't tell she had been out for mere moments, or much longer.

She pushed herself up from the ground, grit and gravel pressing themselves into her palms as she did so. She heard a pained sigh to her left as David regained consciousness, helping Mary Margaret up off the floor.

"We're alive!"

Winnie heard his voice in the same way a wave crashed against the sand of a beach. A low background roar amidst a bevy of other, more distinct sounds. She winced at the sudden volume of it, and the dull but persistent ache throbbing in her temples. She reached out to steady herself against the wall, her shoulder crying out when she moved too quickly, and she knew without a doubt that a bruise would blossom there within the crawling discomfort in no time.

Christopher was safe, though. He'd be no worse the wear. She'd taken the worst of the impact, and they'd saved the town from certain destruction. Winnifred Robin would endure every possible harm if it meant her boys were safe.

She vaguely registered the Charmings as they helped their daughter up from the floor, frantically checking her over, as Regina picked up the diamond. It posed no more threat to them, reduced to little more than a pretty trinket, and with a relieved smile, the mayor put it in her pocket.

"We did it," Emma breathed, an uncharacteristically bright smile tugging at her lips as she looked over at Winnie.

"Yes, we did," said Regina. She stumbled over towards her dear friend, reaching out to gently check over the split skin upon Winnie's head. "Are you alright?"

Winnie shot her a shaky smile, pushing up her scratched up glasses and brushing away a strand of hair that had fallen from her now incredibly messy space buns. "Oh, don't you worry about me, dear. I'm tougher than I look."

"Gotta hand it to Henry," David said with a laugh. "He's right about a lot of things."

"Yes he is," Emma murmured, her features softening at the mention of her son. "Isn't that right, kid?"

She glanced over her shoulder, where she'd assumed the boys would be, sticking close to one another as they usually did, but Emma was greeted with an eerie silence. She paused for a moment, a frown pulling at her lips. "Henry?"