SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. wicked poser, wooden boy !

 wicked poser, wooden boy !

storybrooke maine .

THE FOREST REMAINED A DEATHLY SORT OF SILENT, save for the small huffing noises that followed behind Winnie as she walked over felled trees and overgrown roots, crossbow in hand. Pooh had been reluctant to leave the woman's side, and practically insisted he come with her to investigate the woods for his two brothers of the same creature.

So far, after an hour or so of searching, they hadn't found anything- nor had they heard whispers of Kenai or Koda's whereabouts.

By the time lunch came around, they had been exploring for quite a few hours and debated heading back into town to stop by Granny's and the local goods store for some dog friendly treats- though this was when they came upon something peculiar.

A certain trailer home, overgrown with vines and moss and bits of nature all about. It looked entirely abandoned, but when Winnie moved closer, she saw the grass that had been stomped down after many exits and entries of said trailer.

If that wasn't evidence enough, the trailer rattled and rumbled slightly when Pooh barked- a clear sign that someone inside had been startled by the sound.

The trailer door opened, and revealed a man with an odd face. He looked familiar, Winnie thought. Though he looked familiar in a way that he didn't quite- for she'd have remembered seeing someone with polished wood for skin.

The man had clearly not expected to see Winnie there, clad in her space buns, golden glasses, stripped shirt and blue dungarees. He quickly cowered behind the door frame when he saw her.

"Winnie?" The man asked cautiously, peeking around the corner at the woman.

Winnie heard the man's voice and was struck with recognition, "August!" She smiled, stepping forth a little more to see him properly, though he stayed rooted in his spot.

"Do you... remember me?" August asked, revealing only a tiny bit more of his face, and his wide deep blue plastic eyes.

"Of course I do! You came by the bakery once, and I-..." Winnie cut herself off, pausing in front of the man and tilting her head slightly.

She faintly recalled a boy she once knew many years ago. A boy with a similar soul to this man's, and a similar curse upon it.

Winnie assessed the man with slight confusion before the creases in her forehead fell away and a warm light of realization burst in her eyes, lighting up her features.

"Dear boy, I do believe your father has been looking for you." She looked up at the man, who looked as if he was about to cry from joy, though being made out of wood made that task a little difficult.