TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. flowers of red and gold !

 flowers of red and gold !

the enchanted forest . now .

CHRISTOPHER AWOKE TO THE LIGHTHEARTED CHIRPS OF BIRDS, and a rising sun that cast iridescent beams of light on his warming red cheeks. Sitting up slightly, he let the leather jacket around his body pool at his waist, reminding him of the pirate he'd spoken to just hours before.

Rubbing the sleepiness from his eyes, Christopher listened in on the singing of thrushes around the clearing, determining whether or not it was just chatter- though too many birds were twittering and humming at once, so this pursuit came up dry.

Christopher opened his eyes, and observed those that were also awake. Aurora sat by the remains of last night's fire, snacking on berries. Mulan paced the border, looking into the trees with a peering, determined gaze. Emma and Snow were nearby to Aurora, speaking quietly to each other.

Turning and realizing Killian was still sitting in the same place he'd been last night, awake as ever and watching over Christopher as he took in the warm morning- he realized he was the last to wake.

Sighing, Christopher stood up and sat next to Killian on the sturdy log, handing the jacket back.

"Thank you for letting me borrow this." He uttered as Killian gently took it into his lap.

The ends of Killian's lips curved into a smile, "Couldn't let you freeze, now, could I?"

Christopher smiled too, shrugging and titling his head as if to say 'yeah, alright'. He then looked up into the trees again, seeing all the little dots of feathers and beak.

"The birds stayed." Christopher stated happily.

Killian looked at all the small creatures and shook his head, "I've never seen birds do anything like this. Seems like they're an omen of some kind."

Christopher giggled, "Not omens, Mr Hook, they're friends."

"Of yours?" Killian asked, both amusing the boy, and mocking him all at once.

Though he was pleasantly shocked when Christopher nodded proudly, and whistled a long, loud whistle, causing the birds to chitter back.

Christopher then chirped a 'thank you' to the birds that remained watching over them, to which he got a few twittering responses he could hardly make out apart from a promise of 'we'll see you home, Christopher'.

"You speak their language?" Killian asked, eyes wide as he briefly glanced at the boy, mostly focused on Christopher's 'friends'.

"A little." Christopher smiled at the look on Killian's face. "Only what my mama taught me."