FORTY-FOUR

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. shockwave !

storybrooke maine

storybrooke maine .

SOMETHING TO BE REMEMBERED ABOUT WINNIFRED ROBIN, is that despite her fairytale self being known completely as the 'mother bear' of the Hundred Acre Wood, and despite her constant kindness and forgiving nature, she was still entirely and irrevocably human... And humans often fell prey to powerful emotions.

Anger was not- has never been- unknown to her. It had once, twice- many times shifted and settled in her stomach with nauseating certainty, like a monster in the deep. It was not only known, but familiar.

Yet Winnie remained passive, her face unchanging as she held her son close and listened to their friends as they relayed as much information to her as possible regarding what had been going on in the last twenty-four hours. How Regina had been kidnapped by suspicious individuals that had been visiting town. They tortured her, and took from her a diamond that could apparently wipe Storybrooke off the face of the earth, should the magic within it become activated.

They also explained that the magic had, in fact, been triggered- and that they were all now operating on borrowed time.

Regina had declared she would try to contain the effects of the gem. She would give her life, to allow them all the possibility of escape.

"But there has to be a way." Emma insisted, a renewed determination in her voice, holding Henry closer to her side. "Some way where we can all make it out. We just have to think."

It wasn't the mindset she had been operating on for the past week or so, but after losing Neal, Emma didn't want Henry to lose his adoptive mother too. Furthermore, as she looked at Winnie's uncharacteristically hardened features, she knew she could never face the woman again if she allowed Regina to die without putting up a fight.

Yet, the longer they stood in silence, not an idea to their names, Emma began to lose hope.

She sighed heavily, avoiding eye contact at the realisation, "Then we do what she wants. We have a magic bean, we have a way out... We have to take it."

"No!" Henry objected, forcing the blonde's attention to him, "She's family, we don't leave family behind."

"Henry-" Emma tried to protest, expressing that they had exhausted their options, or, in fact, didn't have any at all. She didn't want to make this choice, but it seemed as if there was no other.

"We saved her from being killed by the wraith, how is this any different?" The boy continued, desperate to ignite some feeling of ardour among the crowd.