19

I stay alone in the room for the rest of the day

I stay alone in the room for the rest of the day. Drakkon is outside, busy disposing of the corpse of his fallen brother. I can't imagine the guilt he's feeling for killing a dragon who fell victim to the same tragedy as him.

Although he killed him to protect me, I know he doesn't take pride in it.

It's my fault. If only I had stayed hidden like I'm supposed to. Drakkon would be resting, and we would all be safe. Now that we were spotted, who knows what pieces have begun to move?

I don't even dare to look out the window, too ashamed. For hours, I sulk in self pity.

I stir awake when a hand touches my shoulder. The first thing I notice is that it's late at night. My eyes scale up the strong legs before me. Drakkon is back, his nude body faintly outlined by the moonlight.

My throat swells. I can't utter a thing.

"Come rest." Is all he says, taking his hand from my shoulder.

I stand, weak at the knees from the discomfort. My stomach decides to grumble, and Drakkon grunts with disapproval.

He leads the way to our room, and I walk with my head down low. I consider walking to the windows to distract myself, but Drakkon has covered them to cover the view.

"Avoid the windows," he says. "We don't know who is looking." His tone is so flat, so dead. It hurts to see him shut down after he regarded me with care for so long. I want to apologize, to do anything to make things how they used to be, but I don't think he wants to hear it.

He approaches me with a warm bowl, and I notice that the ripped linen he wrapped around his chest is dotted with blood. Even after all he endured today, he still takes care of me.

My stomach sours with more shame.

"Thank you," I whisper. He doesn't reply. There is no "of course, my small human." No "eat before it gets cold." No "Can I feed it to you?"

I sleep alone that night, and the next morning, I'm waken up early. Drakkon wants us to move out to another location. He feeds me, helps me pack, and that's the end. We hit the cold streets again. Over the next two days, Drakkon is too busy examining the sky for other dragons that he hardly has time to spare me looks.

I decide I can't keep my arms crossed. That never helped me in the underground. I must take action and finally apologize, or the awkward silence will kill us all.

We're in the back of an abandoned truck, resting against the walls and eating scraps of tuna for dinner. Jexis is outside, patrolling. We're not sure where we're going, other than far away from our last location.

"Drakkon..." I call his name shyly. After three days of uncomfortably acting like we don't see each other, it's weird to hear my own voice.

"Yes?" he replies with that damned empty tone.

"I'm very sorry for endangering us all. Seeing you hurt made me forget that I was a wanted human. I was just a desperate woman trying to make you feel better. I should have known better."

His jaw is set, and his eyes are lighter than usual. He wears clothes, but they're messy, just like his hair. Our separation has been hard on both of us.

"Do not try to be the hero ever again. Do you understand?" he grills me with his gaze.

All I can muster is a weak. "Yes."

"Good," he replies, irritation still clear. "Now come here."

I don't need to be told twice. I've missed him too much to let pride divide us longer. I slowly crawl over, circling the firewood between us. When I sit beside him, Drakkon, ever so rudely, snatches me. I'm sitting between his spread thighs now, crushes against his chest.

He's holding me tighter than usual, leaving me breathless. It has been so long since he held me he seems to have forgotten how much pressure to use.

I breathe in his musk and cling to his shoulders. He smells like rain. Finally, I'm back home.

Slowly but surely, he becomes more warm after this. His touches become more frequent, his sentences longer, his stares longer. We settled into a new building far from our last camp. It's smaller, tucked between two larger buildings. Darker, dingier. It makes me feel like we're getting further from the daylight that we need to solve our problems.

I help Drakkon with cooking, and his anger is slowly forgotten. He's still on edge and constantly alert, but he has become more receptive to my touch and voice. Our little dates continue two weeks after, although we don't go outside.

Tonight, I'm showing him how to play chess after I stumbled across a set. He's very confused by the king piece because, according to him, 'a good king would not hide behind his subjects.' He doesn't grasp that it's a fictional scenario, and it's adorable.

Now, I'm on my bed, waiting for sleep to arrive. When I hear footsteps, I open my eyes and find Drakkon walking through the dimly lit room. I close my eyes to pretend I didn't see him.

He circles my sleeping bag and sinks behind me.

My heart is racing so fast he must know I'm awake. His arm wraps around my waist, and he holds me tight. It has been weeks since we've been this close– the moment I've daydreamed.

This is it. This is my chance to get things going.

For the first few minutes, I don't dare to blink. Then I wiggle my toes, then my fingers. I'm slowly waking my body up. I shift a knee and move my hips. There is no reaction from him, as he's interpreting my movements as being innocent.

I focus on my hips and shift them for three seconds before pausing. Something grows between my cheeks. He's getting aroused. It was that easy.

I'm bite my lip so hard it's a wonder it hasn't split, and I shift my hips again. This time, a rumbling noise comes from his chest. I pause and continue. The hardness against me is now unmistakable.

A large, stiff hand clasps around my hip. "Lucky," his husky voice rasps. "What are you doing?"

Want to skip wait times? Drakkon is COMPLETE on www.patreon.com/ancientt