15

"Drakkon, I walked away from my sister hours ago

"Drakkon, I walked away from my sister hours ago. You can't possibly expect me consider leaving my planet so soon or to plan— uh, sex. That's insanity!"

His expression remains stoic. "There is nothing left for you here."

Damn, he knows how to hit home. Although I don't think he's trying to be malicious, I know that he's right. I have no friends, no family. My only future is to settle down with a human man and survive the apocalypse for as long as I can. I wouldn't be able to have children because bringing them into a world of starvation, sickness, and crime would be cruel.

I cross my arms over myself, seeking comfort in the cold. Drakkon's large hands rub my biceps.

"I swear I will take care of you, and if I fail, I ask the gods to take my flame."

Why would he be devoted to me, though? We've known each other for a slip of time, and I've been hateful to him for most of that. Our only connection was our mission, but that has reached a conclusion. We're from different worlds, and the history between them is bitter and tragic.

"Why do you want me?" I ask, my expression more vulnerable than what I usually allow it to be.

He blinks once, twice, before delivering, "I do not know."

Wow, that's reassuring. These dragons sure are romantic.

"My people are driven by instinct," he adds. "When we want something, there is no stopping us. We fight for treasure, get it, and protect it. My inner fire wants you, and I am weak against my greed."

It's alarming how he's viewing me as an item. I'm not a bar of gold or a jewel that he can keep. I also breathe— and although it's not fire, I'm not insignificant. I'm a person with feelings of their own.

"I don't know..." I fidget. "I've never been comfortable with the thought of belonging to one man, or one place. That's why I've always migrated from one Colony to the next. You're asking me to go against my nature for you. Hours ago, I thought you were the reason for humanity's undoing. Too much is happening too fast."

I'm used to adapting quickly. I've abandoned Colony overnight, lied on the spot, dropped everything to go to the surface in search of my sister. All of that seems insignificant compared to the challenge of leaving my planet.

"Do not think of it that way. I am asking you to join the mission to find the elder dragon and investigate how we can help both of our people. We might be able to solve the curse and heal my men like you healed me."

I get the appeal behind this mission. Any human worth their name would want to bring humanity out from the underground it shrivels in. I have to do this. Helping my world is a more appealing adventure than settling down with a man and struggling to live for the rest of my life.

"I'll meet the Elder and help the dragons," I agree. "But I can't promise that I will leave with you after the dragons are cured. I'm sorry."

He stands taller. "There is much to do. I have plenty of time to change your mind."