9

Azul leads us to the tents

Azul leads us to the tents. They're neatly organized in a long row, each family having their own. I notice some tents are made of waterproof, professional materials while others are just bedsheets and sticks.

"Here," Azul's guide points to a grey tent with two holes on the side. "You can use this for a night."

"No," the dragon speaks beside me. "I want this one." He points to a tall, admirably built tent.

I cringe with discomfort. He needs to shut his mouth and lie low.

The guide scoffs. "Sorry, man. Only the top hunters get comforts like those. Be grateful."

"Do not tell me what to be, servant. Go and get blankets for the female."

The guide takes an angry step forward. "Extra blankets are only for hunters and their families. How about you get off your lazy ass and work for it instead of ordering me around?"

This is getting bad.

"Ignore him," I intervene. "He hit his head recently."

The dragon frowns. "The only impact to my head I've had recently is your mouth smacking upon mine. You will explain what that was about."

"Fuckin' weirdo," the guide mumbles and leaves us behind.

When he's gone, I release a stressed breath. "You should talk less."

I sip my tea. It's warm. I couldn't deny it, because free food is a precious gift.

He glares at me and scans the colony. There's about seventy people here, including children. The dragon hasn't hurt a single one yet, but that's no comfort. He doesn't belong in our civilizations. I'll have to keep moving soon, even if there's flooding in the tunnels.

We spent the rest of the day by a fire. The dragon scans everyone, taking our nature in. I wonder what it is about us that makes him so murderous. How can he stare at the children curiously, while knowing what he has done?

Just thinking about it makes my stomach curl. I gag, but control myself. Food can't be wasted.

"You are ill," the dragon accuses.

"No. I'm fine."

"I will get you supplies."

I jump to my feet and run after him when he walks to the soup line. He skips the line and goes right to the chef.

"You will give me a plate." He demands.

Groans and complaints come from people behind him.

"Sorry!" I tell everyone and run to his side.

The chef laughs, probably figuring he was crazy or drunk. "Alright, big guy. Here. Take this and go on."

The dragon looks at the plate. It has water, two slices of potato, and random leaves.

"This broth has no meat."

"Well, only our fighters get that luxury."

I take his arm and tug him away, smiling apologetically at the irritated people on the line.

"Are you crazy?" I ask him as I walk him away.

"No. I am of sound mind. Now, lead me to the obese leader. I must critique the poor arrangements he has given us."

"You have to respect the balance of this place. If they say only hunters get certain luxuries, then that's how it is. You can't demand anything from anyone."

He presses a hand against his brawny chest. "I am the best hunter here. I can take down any beast that crosses my path. Using the logic of these humans, I deserve whatever 'luxury' I wish."

"That's not how it works," I hiss. "You have to prove yourself by providing for the colony. You can't just say you're the best and expect them to fall at your feet."

"I don't have to say anything," he counters. "Just open my mouth and let my fire speak for me. They would cower. As they should."

There's a gleam in his eye that unnerves me.

"You're so used to getting your way, aren't you?"

He doesn't hesitate. "Yes."

A hand reaches out for my face. I inch away, but as usual, there is no escaping him. He cups my face, his thumb pressing against the corner of my lips.

I pull away. "Don't touch me and don't demand anything else from these people. They—"

"My guests," Azul greets.

Shit.

"How are you settling in?" he asks me.

"Obese one, address me. Not the female."

Oh, my god. He's so fucking rude.

Azul raises an eyebrow, all warmth leaving his face. "I don't think I appreciate your tone, son."

"And I don't appreciate these poor arrangements we have received. Show me the way to the nearest beast. I will hunt it for your inadequate colony, and in exchange, I you will give me everything I wish."

Azul shakes his head. "The hunters are tired. They just came from an expedition. Besides, there is a snowstorm. You should settle down your temper and impatience, young buck."

"I assure you, my animal form is much more fearsome than a buck."

"Yeah?" Azul laughs. "What is your spirit animal? A dragon?"

The dragon grins, showing a row of white, pearly white, bloodthirsty teeth.

I intervene. "We'll be fine Azul. Forgive my friend here. He recently hurt his head."

Azul's attention returns to me. He rubs his chin, stroking the few beard hairs he has there. "I see. Well, there is a way for you to earn food, blankets, and upgraded supplies."

He takes the hand of a woman that walks by us. She wears a long fur coat, and her face is clean enough that I can make out her natural skin tone. She's thin, but there's an easy smile on her face that lets me know she doesn't know starvation.

"Become one of my wives. I have thirty-three in total. Their only job is to be available to pleasure me at all times. I provide everything my women need."

That was the wrong thing to say.

The dragon charges, and I shove myself in his way. His body temperature feels hotter, like he's about to combust.

"Go. Run!" I yell at Azul.

Want to skip wait times? Drakkon is COMPLETE on www.patreon.com/ancientt